New Delhi, November 3: Linking Aadhaar card with SIM or mobile number has been made mandatory by the government. To make the process of linking 12-digit Unique Identity Number with the mobile SIM hassle-free, the Department of Telecom has introduced three new methods to link the registered mobile number with Aadhaar-OTP based, app-based and IVRS facility. Using these methods, the subscribers can verify or re-verify their mobile numbers from anywhere in India. The Centre on Thursday has told the Supreme Court that the Aadhaar-Mobile SIM linking should be completed by February 6, under e-KYC verification.
Apart from linking Aadhaar to SIM Card and Aadhaar to PAN, the government has also mandated production of 12-digit unique Aadhaar number for opening new bank accounts. The telecom operators have been directed by the DoT to offer verification facility to subscribers at their doorsteps for the convenience of those with disability, illness or old age. The telcos have also been directed to build an online mechanism – which can be through the website or any other means so that anyone in need can request such service.
Here’s how you can Link Aadhaar to SIM via OTP in easy steps:
- You need to message the Aadhaar number from the registered mobile number at a number provided by their service providers.
- The service providers (Airtel, Vodafone, Idea Cellular, etc.) will then do a demographic verification of the number.
- Once the verification process is over, the service provider will send OTP request to UIDAI.
- Soon after, the UIDAI will send the OTP to the mobile number.
- The user is requested to send this OTP to the registered mobile number
- With this step, the e-KYC verification process gets completed.
It has to be noted that Aadhaar-based e-KYC is essential for subscribers going for new SIMs. Moreover, the government has asked mobile operators to re-verify existing prepaid and postpaid customers, with the help of the 12-digit unique identity number. According to a recent tweet by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), there is no need to give fingerprints to local SIM card retailer for linking the Aadhaar to your mobile number. “No need to give fingerprints to local SIM card retailer for your mobile phone verification… From December 1, 2017, you can do it from the comfort of your home through OTP received on the mobile number registered with Aadhaar,” said the UIDAI.