New Delhi, November 29: FMCG major Nestle India on Wednesday issued a statement with reference to the recent developments regarding its popular noodle brand-Maggi. The story that has been doing rounds mentions that a fine of Rs 45 lakh has been imposed by the district administration on Nestle, Rs 15 lakh on its three distributors and Rs 11 lakh on its two sellers. Commenting on the recent reports, Nestle India said that Maggi Noodles are 100% safe for consumption. The FMGC major stated that it appears to be a case of application of incorrect standards and that the firm will file an appeal urgently once the order is received.
“We strongly reiterate that Maggi Noodles are 100% safe for consumption. While we have not received the orders passed by the adjudication officer, we have been informed that the samples are of year 2015 and the issue pertains to ‘ash content’ in Noodles. This appears to be a case of application of incorrect standards, and we will file an appeal urgently once we receive the order”, Nestle India said in its statement.
In 2015, Nestle India and other companies had represented to the relevant authorities, via industry associations, to set standards specific to instant noodles to avoid confusion amongst enforcement officers and consumers. “The standards have since been introduced and the product complies with these standards. We regret the confusion it may cause to consumers”, the Nestle statement added.
Earlier this month, Nestle India reported a 23.26 per cent increase in its net profit at Rs 343.17 crore for the September quarter. The profits were driven by higher income and volume-led momentum. The company, which follows the January-December fiscal, had posted a net profit of Rs 278.41 crore during the same period in the previous fiscal, Nestle India said in a stock exchange filing.