New Delhi: The deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar have been extended several times in the pat. Now it has been extended to March 31, 2020, after which PAN will become inoperative, the Income Tax department has said. Also Read - Keep in Mind Amicus Suggestions Like OTP to Prevent Aadhaar Info Misuse: Delhi High Court to Centre
Here’s all you need to know Also Read - Instant Allotment of e-PAN Based on Aadhaar Details to Begin This Month
1. Till January 27, 2020, over 30.75 crore PANs have already been linked to Aadhaar. Also Read - PAN Aadhaar Linking: Deadline Extended Till Sept 30; Mandatory to Quote UID Number For Filing ITRs
2. About 17.58 crore PANs are yet to be linked with the 12-digit biometric ID.
3. Persons whose PANs become inoperative shall be liable for all the consequences under the I-T Act for not furnishing, intimating or quoting the permanent account number.
4. Section 139 AA (2) of the Income Tax Act says that every person having PAN as on July 1, 2017, and eligible to obtain Aadhaar, must intimate his Aadhaar number to the tax authorities.
5. The Supreme Court had in September 2018 declared Aadhaar as constitutionally valid and held that the biometric ID would remain mandatory for the filing of income tax returns and allotment of PAN cards.
(With PTI Inputs)