New Delhi: The deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar have been extended several times in the pat. Now it has been extended to March 31, 2020, after which PAN will become inoperative, the Income Tax department has said.
Here’s all you need to know
1. Till January 27, 2020, over 30.75 crore PANs have already been linked to Aadhaar.
2. About 17.58 crore PANs are yet to be linked with the 12-digit biometric ID.
3. Persons whose PANs become inoperative shall be liable for all the consequences under the I-T Act for not furnishing, intimating or quoting the permanent account number.
4. Section 139 AA (2) of the Income Tax Act says that every person having PAN as on July 1, 2017, and eligible to obtain Aadhaar, must intimate his Aadhaar number to the tax authorities.
5. The Supreme Court had in September 2018 declared Aadhaar as constitutionally valid and held that the biometric ID would remain mandatory for the filing of income tax returns and allotment of PAN cards.
(With PTI Inputs)