Dev Patel has made it to the Oscar nominations 2017 making the Indian fans more excited for the Academy Awards this year. British-born Indian-origin actor Dev Patel has earned the coveted Oscar 2017 nominations in the category of Best Actor in a supporting role. The actor has been nominated for his 2016 critically acclaimed love story, Lion in 89th Academy Awards. The 26-year-old actor who essayed the role of protagonist Saroo Brierley, in the movie based on a true story on an Indian man in search of his roots. This is the third time an actor of Indian origin has entered the Oscar nominations. Sir Ben Kingsley and Merle Oberon were the actors of Indian descent honoured at Academy Awards. Dev Patel was considered to be the star in Lion and is now honoured with the chance of being on the list for the 89th Academy Awards. Patel was also nominated for his role in the recently held Golden Globes Awards. However, Dev Patel lost the Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role award to Aaron Taylor-Johnson at the 74th Golden Globes. Dev Patel rose to stardom with Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire which was a rage at the Oscars, almost a decade ago. Here is a look at seven things every fan of Dev Patel must know before cheering for him at the 89th Academy Awards taking place on February 26, 2017. Oscar nominations 2017 announced: Complete List of 89th Academy Awards nominated movies & nominees.
1. Dev Patel is Indian-origin English actor. His parents are Gujarati Hindu Indians who were born in Nairobi, Kenya and settled down in England. Dev’s parents — mother Anita and father Raj met for the first time in London. Dev was born on April 23, 1990, in London and unsurprisingly has a British accent.
2. Dev Patel considers himself a “technophobe,”! We wonder and applaud this acting powerhouse for portraying the character of Saroo Brierley in Lion, who uses Google Earth to search his biological mother in India! Lion is a biopic based on true story of Saroo Brierley who gets lost as a five-year-old only to be raised by an Australian couple. It is about his journey, how he with sketchy memory tracks down his real-life mother.
3. Dev Patel is skilled in martial arts and has a black belt in Taekwon-do. As a kid, Dev was described as “bloody energetic” which landed him in troubles on a number of occasions in school. Hence he joined the Rayners Lane Academy of Taekwon-do in 2000 and started training rigidly. Dev Patel participated in many national and international championships, including the 2004 AIMAA (Action International Martial Arts Association) World Championships in Dublin and won a bronze medal. Don’t go by his charming personality; he can hurt where it hurts most.
4. Dev Patel’s first ever Best Actor award came during his school days. The actor played the role of Sir Andrew Aguecheek in his school’s production of Twelfth Night. It was his first ever acting assignment and oh, boy he owned the stage completely.
5. While Dev Patel started out his professional acting career quite early on with E4 teen drama television series Skins but Danny Boyle’s Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire in 2008 proved to be a turning point in Dev Patel’s life.
6. Dev Patel played the character of Jamal Malik, an Indian Muslim boy whose rags to riches story won the hearts worldwide. Very few know that actor Ruslaan Mumtaz was the original choice as Jamal Malik but director Danny Boyle found him to be ‘too good looking’, hence Dev Patel came into the picture. And the rest, as they say, is history.
7. Dev Patel was in a steady relationship with his Slumdog Millionaire co-star Freida Pinto. They dated for nearly six years from 2009 before going separate ways in 2014. Freida who also struck gold after the success of Slumdog Millionaire was six years elder to Dev Patel, and the two were deemed as a power couple in American and British film industry before they broke up.
From cleaning utensils to spending time at call-centers for the preparation of his role as Jamal Malik in Slumdog Millionaire to impressing the fans and critics with his Australian accent in Lion, Dev Patel epitomizes method acting. From gaining worldwide attention at the age of 17 with the Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire, Dev Patel has come a full circle with his first nomination for Best Supporting Actor for Lion at the 89th Academy Awards. The London-born actor will have the company of his Lion co-star and greatest Australian actress, Nicole Kidman also earning an Oscar nomination in Best Supporting Actress category. Wish Dev Patel and his Lion’s entire cast, all the very best for Academy Awards 2017.