While United States President Barack Obama brought the entire country to tears with his farewell address, First Lady Michelle Obama also bid a teary adieu, among cheers and applause. In her last address as the First Lady of United States from the White House, Michelle Obama choked up. She was talking at an event honouring the 2017 National School Counselor of the Year and State Counselors of the Year. While thanking her supporters, she said, “Being your First Lady has been the greatest honour of my life and I hope I’ve made you proud.”
Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama was born on January 17, 1964 and is one of the most respected First Ladies of the US. Recently she also shared an early picture of the family on Instagram, thanking Barack Obama. The caption read, “So proud of POTUS and all that we’ve accomplished together. What an incredible journey filled with remarkable people. I love you Barack. -mo.” Obama’s presidency will come to an end on January 20, 2017, when Donald Trump would be sworn in as the 45th President of the United States.
Barack had also thanked Michelle in his Chicago speech and said “a role you didn’t ask for.” He said, “For the past 25 years, you’ve been not only my wife and mother of my children, but my best friend. You made the White House a place that belongs to everybody. And a new generation sets its sights higher because it has you as a role model. You’ve made me proud. You’ve made the country proud.” Michelle and Barack Obama sure give us relationship goals! After becoming the First Lady, Michelle Obama became a fashion icon and a role model for women with her initiatives for awareness about poverty and healthy eating. We take a look at some interesting facts about the First Lady of America:
1. Michelle Obama is a Harvard educated lawyer and a writer, but left her career and founded the American not-for-profit organisation called Public Allies Chicago. ALSO READ: Post US elections, Americans want to see Michelle Obama as President in 2020
2. Michelle Obama is one of the only three First Ladies with a graduate degree. She graduated from a magnet high school in Chicago before attending Princeton University and Harvard Law School. Other First Ladies who own a degree include Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush.
3. Michelle and Barack Obama met at her law firm where she was his adviser. Barack was then a summer intern. Barack who proposed to Barack was refused as she did not find the conduct inappropriate. Later on his reques, Michelle agreed to go on a date with him. However, she had made a demand, she wanted him to play basketball with her brother Craig Malcolm Robinson.
4. According to Big Wire, Michelle Obama exercises for 90 minutes, thrice a week, which includes treadmill, weight-lifting and kickboxing. She wakes up at 4:30 am every day. Though she believes in healthy eating, Michelle Obama has her cheat days when she has French fries!
5. In a TV interview, she once said that she makes her husband – the President of the United States – do the dishes. Now we know why women love her!
6. Michelle hangs out with her girlfriends whenever possible without letting her celebrity status affect the relations. She believes in bonding with women and creating friendships other than with her husband.
7. Michelle wanted to appear for an interview for an executive position at the University of Chicago Medical Center, when her younger daughter Sasha was four months old. But she could not find a babysitter, so she put her baby in a baby stroller and took her along!
8. When in 2009, Michelle Obama met Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace in England, she broke protocol to give the Queen a hug!
9. At the funeral of King Abdullah in January 2015, Michelle Obama was in Saudi Arabia along with Barack Obama. She refused to cover her head with a hijab, as is the custom in the country, and so was ignored by King Salman