A Nagpur man allegedly found a dead lizard in food item ‘vada sambhar’ at Haldiram’s outfit. The incident took place at the outlet located at Ajani square on Tuesday morning. The picture of the dead lizard went viral on social media and Haldiram received backlash for the incident. Assistant commissioner of FDA Nagpur, Milind Deshpande told PTI, “The man and a woman accompanying him, both from Wardha, had ordered vada sambar at the outlet. But while eating, the man found a dead lizard in the food. They brought this to the notice of the outlet’s supervisor, who later on threw it away.”

The duo neither spoke to the media about the incident neither lodged complaint with the FDA or police.

He further added, “They were later admitted to a private hospital and discharged on Wednesday. The FDA was informed about it in the evening, after which we immediately visited the Haldiram’s outlet and conducted an inspection. We found certain deficiencies in its kitchen. The windows of the kitchen need to be fitted with nets, which was missing.”

“The FDA has closed the outlet till they complete the compliance as per the Food Safety and Standards (Food business licences and Registration) regulations 2011. They have submitted a compliance report to us. We will inspect the premises and if we find the steps taken are satisfactory, only then we will allow it to reopen,” he added.

“But we admitted them to a nearby hospital. They were kept under observation for 24 hours and their medical reports were normal. They have been discharged today. We have submitted a compliance report to the FDA,” he said.

The Haldiram outlet at Nagpur has now been shut down after the incident.