The home-grown manufacturer has made it a habit of launching compact SUVs especially in the last couple of months that have seen the introduction of names Mahindra TUV300, Mahindra KUV100 and the Mahindra Nuvosport. Now the automaker has gone ahead and expanded its product portfolio even further by bringing in the Mahindra Bolero Power Plus. With this, the Pune-based manufacturer becomes a highly SUV-centric company as it delivers only two cars which are not based on the Utility vehicle platform. The Mahindra Verito sedan and the electric powered hatchback the Mahindra e20.
Bolero Power Plus compact SUV will help Mahindra to capitalize on the compact SUV segment boom which comprises of 41 percent of sales in the Utility vehicle and SUV segment. Then, there is the bonus of reduced taxes on sub-4 meter SUVs that will help both the manufacturer and the end user. Mahindra Bolero is already a high selling SUV and this variant will provide even more choice in a high;y popular segment especially for rural consumers. So here are the 7 things that you need to know about recently launched Mahindra Balero Power Plus. Also Read: Mahindra Bolero Power plus sub 4-meter SUV launched at INR 6.59 lakh
1. Sub-4 Meter SUV: Mahindra Bolero Power Plus will shave off a few centimetres from the regular Bolero to start with. The engineers have cut down on length by trimming down its front and rear overhangs. Thus there is a reduction of 170mm with other measurement like wheelbase remaining the same at the figure stands at 2,680mm. In addition, the bumpers too have been redesigned both upfront as well as the rear.
2. Exteriors: Exteriors of Mahindra Bolero Power Plus SUV has the similar sturdy and dominating presence as the current generation Bolero. The SUV is as long as 3995 mm, barely missing the 4 metre mark. It measures 1745 mm wide and 1880 mm in height. The front grille is the same with honeycomb mesh and vertical inserts on top. Its hawk eye shaped headlamps are called blue vision headlamps and lend it a meaner look. Bolero Power Plus gets side cladding and most importantly body coloured side steps which help in easy ingress and egress for even passengers with special needs. Body coloured ORVMs also help in improving the overall modern look of the SUV with an added benefit of improved visibility. It gets different body decals with a choice of six exciting colours- Java Brown, Toreador Red, Fiery Black, Diamond White, Mist Silver and Rocky Beige. Also Read: Mahindra XUV500 mild hybrid under works
3. Engine: Mahindra Bolero Power Plus is powered by a capable 1.5L mHawk D70 diesel engine which also propels Mahindra TUV300 and Mahindra Nuvosport. Though it has been detuned for better fuel efficiency. The engine can dole out healthy figures of 70 Bhp @ 3600 rpm and 230 Nm of torque @ 1400 – 2200 rpm which is a huge improvement in comparison to the current lot of Mahindra Bolero's which are equipped with a 2.5 Litre diesel engine capable of only 68 Bhp and 153Nm of torque. This oil burner comes equipped with a Micro Hybrid System that provides automatic fuel saving on every drive. It switches off the engine when the New Bolero Power+ ZLX idles for a duration that is set previously by the drivers and the engine switches back on, the instant a drivers leg presses the clutch pedal.
4. Interiors: Despite smaller dimensions Mahindra Bolero Power Plus will be offered with 7- seat configuration in which the last rows will be getting third row jump seats. The cabin space is as generous as the regular Mahindra Bolero. The cabin has been enhanced by adding wooden touches to the central console which houses an audio system with USB, AUX and CD. It also comes with Bluetooth functionality to allow enjoyment of music wireless. There’s a 12V charging point and leather wrapped steering wheel. The instrument cluster has digital display and provides all the information to the driver like alerts on open doors, fuel economy, 'distance to empty' and more.
5. Transmission Options: Mahindra Bolero Power Plus for the first time will be offered with two transmission choices- AMT and a 5-speed manual. Trickling down from the higher placed models in the pricing hierarchy, the AMT feature is bound to make it a breeze to drive in slow moving traffic, congested surroundings as well as the rural and semi-urban areas. Also Read: Mahindra XUV Aero in works for India launch
6. Mileage: The engine sourced from Mahindra TUV 300 and Mahindra Nuvosport has been detuned to extract higher mileage figures. The new Mahindra Bolero Power Plus thus provides an ARAI certified mileage of 16.5 kmpl.
7. Pricing: Mahindra & Mahindra has priced the Bolero Power Plus at a value oriented price of INR 6.59 lakh for SLE variant. The SLX comes slotted in the middle with a retail price tag of INR 7.08 lakh while the top-end ZLX variant comes in at INR 7.25 lakh (ex-showroom) Delhi.
8. Competition: Mahindra Bolero Power Plus competes against the likes of Ford Ecosport and Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza.