Tata Motors is all set to launch its first sub-compact SUV in India – the Tata Nexon. Ahead of its launch, Tata Motors has revealed that bookings for the car will officially open on 11th September at an amount of INR 11,000. That said, our sources close to the company have learned that the car will be launched with a starting price of INR 6.49 lakh (ex-showroom). The Tata Nexon is based on the IMPACT design philosophy, while the car is underpinned by the old X1 platform. In terms of competition, the Nexon will primarily rival the Maruti Vitara Brezza and the Ford EcoSport. Here are the top 10 things to know about the all-new Tata Nexon. Also Read: Tata Nexon Sundown Grey Colour Variant Pictures Surface; Launch Date, India Price, Interior, Booking, Review
1. Just like the Tata Tiago, Hexa and Tigor, the Nexon too is based on the automaker’s IMPACT design philosophy. The front gets Tata’s Humanity line grille, a familiar facia indigenous to cars coming out of Tata Motor’s stables. The side profile gets sturdy shoulder lines which ride up and into a compact yet stylish rear facia. Read More: Tata Nexon Top 5 Features: Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Multi Drive Modes & Touch-Screen Display
2. Talking about Tata Nexon‘s exterior features, this compact SUV is to get LED projector headlamps, LED DRLs, 17-inch alloy wheels, LED tail-lights, roof rails, dual-tone paint schemes, black plastic cladding among the others.
3. Dimensionally, the Tata Nexon will measure 3,995mm in length, 1,600mm in height, 1,730mm in width and has a wheelbase of 2,470mm. It is expected to come with a ground clearance of about 200mm, enough to tackle even the toughest Indian roads. Also Read: Tata Nexon Bookings Details Revealed; India launch by Month End
4. Stepping inside the cabin, one is to realize that Tata Motors has ensured that the buyers of the Nexon are to get a premium feel, both in terms of visual as well as material quality. The sub-compact SUV gets a neat and uncluttered dashboard layout, the design of which seems to take its inspiration from the one seen on a few European cars.
5. Tata Nexon’s cabin too comes loaded with a whole array of creature comforts and features. One is to get a multi-functional steering wheel, touchscreen multi-media system, satellite navigation, automatic climate control, cruise control, Harman Kardon surround sound system, rear-parking camera with sensors, cooled glove box, to name a few. Also Read: Tata Nexon India Launch Confirmed for September End – All You Need to Know
6. Talking about safety, the Tata Nexon is to get dual air-bags and ABS with EBD as standard features. The top of the line trims are to get additional equipment like Electronic Stability Control and Electronic Brake Assist to name a few.
7. Coming to the engine specifications of the Tata Nexon; this sub-compact SUV will be made available in both petrol as well as diesel derivatives. The petrol motor is to get the same 1.2-litre Revotron motor which does its duty on the Tiago but it will be turbocharged with the diesel derivative being a 1.5-litre Revotorq unit.
8. The transmission responsibilities are to be taken care of by a 5-speed manual gearbox for the petrol trim while the diesel motor is to feature a 6-speed manual unit. To make the Tata Nexon a further desirable preposition, the automaker is expected to also introduce and AMT equipped version of the same.
9. With this, the Tata Nexon will compete against the likes of Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Ford EcoSport and the Mahindra TUV300. Also Read: Upcoming Tata Motors cars launching in India in 2017-18; Nexon, Q501, TaMo RaceMo Tigor AMT & Tiago Sport
10. Talking about prices, much like the Tiago, we expect the Tata Nexon too to uncut its rivals by an acceptable margin. Going by this, be expect the prices of the Tata Nexon in India to start at a base amount of INR 6.49 lakh with the top of the line model retailing at INR 10 lakh (ex-showroom).