The UPSC will be conducting the civil services preliminary examination on August 24, 2014. Candidates willing to appear for this exam need to make sure that they are accustomed with the syllabus thoroughly. This exam will have two papers: paper I and II. The syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Prelims is as follows: Also Read - Inspiring! Meerut Woman Who Left Home To Avoid Forced Marriage Returns As PCS Officer 7 Years Later
Paper I Also Read - Before Reporting For Duty, This Bengaluru Cop Teaches Children of Migrant Workers Everyday For An Hour
Marks: 200 marks. Also Read - Ready to Send Children Back to School? 78% Parents Say No, Willing to Let Kids Repeat An Academic Year
Duration: Two hours
The topics covered under Paper I are as follows:
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights, Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
Marks: 200 marks.
Duration: Two hours
The topics covered under Paper II are as follows:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc. – Class X level).
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level).
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
Note: It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the Papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he/she does not appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination. For the ones who clear the prelims, the next step shall be to appear for the mains.
Click here to read about the paper pattern of the civil services preliminary exam.
Image courtesy: Photos.com