New Delhi: As the confirmed cases of coronavirus have reached 30 in the country, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Thursday said all government and private schools up to class 5 will remain closed till March 31. He said the move is taken as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the national capital. Also Read - Coronavirus: Health Minister Harsh Vardhan Visits IGI Airport in Delhi For Inspection of Preparedness | Highlights
“As a precautionary measure to prevent the possibility of spread of COVID-19 amongst our children, the Delhi government has directed immediate closure of all primary schools (Govt/ aided/ private/MCD/NDMC) till 31/3/20,” Sisodia said in a tweet. Also Read - Coronavirus Outbreak: HRD Ministry Issues Advisory to All Schools to Create Awareness, Prevent Spread of COVID-19
Earlier in the day, the Delhi government asked the head of departments (HoDs), autonomous bodies and municipal corporations to suspend the biometric attendance system in the wake of coronavirus outbreak.
“A letter has been written to principal secretaries, secretaries, autonomous bodies and municipal corporations for the suspension of biometric attendance in view of coronavirus threat,” an official at the Delhi government told PTI.
The development comes after one more case of novel coronavirus was reported in Ghaziabad, taking the total number in the country to 30. The patient is a middle-aged man and he had recently travelled from Iran.
In the wake rising cases of coronavirus, the Union Health Ministry earlier in the day asked states to form rapid response teams at district, block and village levels.
As of now, the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country stands at 30, including 16 Italian tourists, the ministry said.