Candidates can prepare for the GATE Exam (2015) by referring the questions (and the answer key) of the previous year GATE exam (2014). 5 questions asked in Ecology and Evolution Paper of Engineering Exam 2014 are as follows: Also Read - Inspiring! Meerut Woman Who Left Home To Avoid Forced Marriage Returns As PCS Officer 7 Years Later
1. Darwin’s ideas on evolution by natural selection were influenced by Also Read - Before Reporting For Duty, This Bengaluru Cop Teaches Children of Migrant Workers Everyday For An Hour
(A) Lyell and Malthus
(B) Watson and Crick
(C) Meselson and Stahl
(D) Miller and Urey Also Read - Ready to Send Children Back to School? 78% Parents Say No, Willing to Let Kids Repeat An Academic Year
2. Which of the following statements about the evolution of humans is believed to be TRUE?
(A) Modern day humans evolved from Neanderthals
(B) Modern day humans and Neanderthals share a recent common ancestor
(C) Modern day humans and Neanderthals both evolved from chimpanzees
(D) Modern day humans evolved from chimpanzees
3. On average, which ecosystem has the LOWEST net primary productivity per unit are?
(A) An open ocean
(B) A coral reef
(C) An estuary
(D) A fresh water lake
4. A researcher measures the height of 100 trees of a species. The mean of these observations is 50and the variance is 16. The standard error of the mean calculated from these observations is ______
5. A researcher tested for the presence of parasitic infection in 100 male and 100 female deer. Forty males and 30 females were found to be infected. To test if males are significantly more susceptible to infection than females, which of the following is an appropriate statistical test?
(B)Mann-Whitney U test
(C) Chi-square test
Click here to get full question paper on the official website of GATE
Click here to get full answer sheet of question paper on the official website of GATE
Image Courtesy : Getty Images