Today June 1, 2015 is Nargis Dutt’s, 86th birth anniversary. She was born in 1929 at Bengal Presidency, Kolkata and died due to pancreatic cancer on May 3, 1981, in Mumbai. It is well known that Nargis Dutt was married to actor Sunil Dutt and was mother of Actor Sanjay Dutt and Politician Priya Dutt. Her other daughter, Namrata Dutt is married to actor Kumar Gaurav, son of veteran actor Rajendra Kumar who had appeared in Mother India. Prepsure.com presents you with 10 lesser known facts about this legendary actress:
Also Read - CBSE & ICSE Board Exams 2021: Top 7 Things to do For Preparation |Watch Video
- Her real name is Fatima Rashid and she was credited by the name “Baby Nargis” which is a Persian word meaning Narcissus, daffodil flower.
Also Read - CBSE Board Exam 2021: Tips to Cope Up With Stress For Children And Parents | Watch Video
- Nargis had formed Ajanta Arts Cultural Troupe, along with her husband; which involved several leading actors and singers of the time and performed at remote frontiers to entertain the Indian soldiers; it was the first troupe to perform in Dhaka, after the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 and the formation of Bangladesh.
Also Read - Telangana Schools to Reopen for Classes 6 and 8 After Nearly 11 Months
- She became the first patron of Spastics Society of India in early 1970s, and her subsequent work with this organisation brought her recognition as a social worker and later on in 1980, she also got Rajya Sabha nomination.
- In honour of Nargis, the award for best feature film on National Integration at the annual National Film Awards ceremony is called the Nargis Dutt Award.
- Nargis’s mother, Jaddanbai, was a Muslim immigrant, a Hindustani classical music singer and a courtesan in Allahabad. She was the one who introduced Nargis into the movie culture in India at that time.
- Though she made her first film appearance in the 1935, in the movie Talashe Haq when she was six years old; her acting career began in 1942 with the movie Tamanna.
- She made her last film appearance in the 1967 in the movie Raat Aur Din where she played the role of a woman who suffers from multiple-personality disorder. For this role she won a National Film Award for Best Actress and became the first actress to win in this category.
- Nargis dated actor Raj Kapoor who was already married then and had children. After he refused to divorce his wife, Nargis decided to end their year long relationship and married actor Sunil Dutt on 11 March 1958. Reportedly, Dutt had saved her life from a fire accident on the sets of Mother India.
- At the premiere of Nargis’s Sanjay Dutt, debut film Rocky on 7 May 1981, one seat was kept vacant for her.
- Nargis is buried at Badakabarastan in Marine Lines, Mumbai. A street in Bandra, Mumbai was renamed Nargis Dutt Road in her memory after her death.
Image courtesy: Wikipedia