NEET 2017 State Wise Counselling will begin soon after the All India Quota Counselling is completed. As per the latest schedule, the MCC has already sought for and gotten extension in the All India Quota Counselling due to  delay in NEET 2017 Results. As the students line up and register for the All India Quota Counselling, the question that many have is whether they should pick up any college they get in All India Counselling or should they give that up and wait for Statewise Counselling to begin in August. We attempt to help students understand what would be the best way to go about the NEET 2017 Counselling in order to optimize their opportunities. Also Read: KEAM Results 2017: NEET 2017 Rank List for Kerala to be released soon on cee-kerala.org, updates soon

As is well known,  about 15% seats in Medical colleges are reserved as All India Quota, which will be filled by AIQ counselling scheduled to start from July conducted by MCC. Counselling for remaining 85% of seats will be done by centralized state counselling which is conducted by various states. CBSE, the board that has conducted NEET 2017 has already provided the All India Merit List as well as a State Wise Merit List to the concerned authorities. States would soon issue notices for the start MBBS and BDS Admissions under the 85% State Quota. Students should also note that after AIQ counselling is complete, the vacant seats from that 15% reserved section will be transferred to State Quota. This year common counselling will be provided at the state-level for admission in medical courses, a move which is aimed at bringing transparency and curbing the practice of capitation fee charged by private colleges.Related News: NEET 2017 Counselling Dates: Supreme court allows MCI plea to extend counselling date, complete revised schedule soon on mcc.nic.in.

The dilemma for students who have not gotten and exceptional rank in the All India Merit List begins as they must now choose between the AIQ and the State Quota. As such, experts recommend that students should carefully go through the list of colleges that they are interested in getting admission into. A professor shared, “Choosing a medical college which is very far from your home may not be a very wise decision. Of the colleges being offered, students should not jump at a better ranked college over the State Quota if there is only a marginal difference in rank. Students should understand that Medical Studies are difficult and being closer to family would help them go through the 5 years of rigorous curriculum, Hence, choose wisely.”  Also ReadSupreme Court SC stays counselling and admission process for engineering courses in IITs, IIITs, NITs among other colleges

Another expert, however believed that students should not wait for State Counselling. With different quotas fixed in different states, it is always better to get the first good seat. With the confusion further increasing, we suggest that the students must make informed choices. Needless to say, your State rank would be higher than your All India Rank, improving your chances of getting into a better ranked institute. However, securing a seat is always better. Students should accordingly go through the guidelines issued by the respective state authorities and MCC before making a choice. If the dates are overlapping, then it is often best to go with the college closer to your home. Also Useful | NEET 2017: Top 10 Medical Colleges for MBBS in India.

The NEET UG 2017 was conducted by CBSE, the Health Ministry in consultation with states had issued an advisory in August last year to conduct combined counselling for admission to MBBS courses for session 2016-17. The counselling for all-India quota seats at undergraduate and postgraduate level will continue to be conducted by the Directorate General of Health Services under the Ministry.  For the state of Andhra Pradesh MBBS BDS Counselling 2017 schedule will now be available.

The candidates who have qualified the NEET examination can apply for the Counselling. All the colleges under Dr. NTR University of Health Science, Vijayawada are participating in the counselling. It is important to note that candidates who have declared Qualified/Eligible for All India Quota Undergraduate Seats (MBBS/BDS) only will be eligible for online allotment process for All India Quota Seats. The admission to 85% of the seats will be reserved in favour of the local candidates in relation to the local area. The Non local candidates are eligible for 15% unreserved seats only.