The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) are a close knit chain of business schools which focuses at enhancing management education and research in India. Also Read - Inspiring! Meerut Woman Who Left Home To Avoid Forced Marriage Returns As PCS Officer 7 Years Later
These institutes primarily offer postgraduate, doctoral and executive management programs. The IIMs were first initiated by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, based on the recommendation of the Planning Commission. Also Read - Before Reporting For Duty, This Bengaluru Cop Teaches Children of Migrant Workers Everyday For An Hour
Here is the list of top IIM colleges in India: Also Read - Ready to Send Children Back to School? 78% Parents Say No, Willing to Let Kids Repeat An Academic Year
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad: The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM Ahmedabad) is one of the most prestigious business schools in India. The institute is located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. IIM-A was established in the year 1961. IIM-A offers Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Management and Agri-Business Management, a Doctoral (Fellowship) Programme and a number of Executive Training Programmes.
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta: IIM-C is located in Kolkata (earlier Calcutta), West Bengal. IIM Calcutta is the oldest and the one of the best management colleges in India. IIM-C was founded in 1961 before IIM Ahemdabad. IIM Calcutta offers postgraduate, executive and doctoral programmes in management. IIM-C is also actively involved in research, consultancy, seminars, academic conferences and research publications on global level.
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore: IIM-B is located in Bangalore, Karnataka. The institute was established in the year 1973, the third IIM in a row. IIM C is famous for its Doctoral, Post Graduate programs and Executive training programs.
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow: IIM-L was the fourth to be established in the row of all the Indian Institutes of Management. The institute was founded in the year 1984, in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (UP). IIM Lucknow offers post-graduate diploma, fellowship and executive programs in management.
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore: IIM- I is located in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Instituted was established in the year 1996. IIM Indore has been acting as a leader in the field of management education, interfacing with the industry and government sector. IIM Indore is registered as a Society under Societies Registration Act, 1973.
- Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur: IIM-Kashipur is one of the thirteen Indian Institutes of Management located in Kashipur, Uttarakhand. The institution was established by the government during the Eleventh Five-Year Plan. The foundation stone was laid by the HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on 29 April 2011. IIM Kashipur offers Post Graduate Programs in Management and Executive Post Graduate Programs and also doctoral Executive Fellowship Programs in Management.
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode: IIM-K was the fifth IIM to be founded by the Government of India. The Institute’s foundation was laid in the year 1996 in alliance with the State Government of Kerala. IIM K offer management programs in the fields of research, teaching, and training, consulting and intellectual infrastructure development.
- Indian Institute of Management, Raipur: IIM-Raipur is located in the state of Chhattisgarh. The institute was established in the year 2010 by the Government of India at Raipur. IIM Raipur is the tenth Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in India. The institute was inaugurated by Raman Singh, Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh on October 11, 2010. IIM Raipur offer part-time and full-time post graduate management programs.
- Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi: IIM-Ra is the ninth Indian Institute of Management which was established in the year 2010. The institute was established by Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and the Government of Jharkhand, working under the guidance of Ministry of HRD, Government of India. The institute was planned in the 11th Five-Year Plan, endorsed by the National Development Council in December 2007.
- Indian Institute of Management, Rohtak: IIM-R is located in Rohtak, Haryana. It is the eighth Indian Institute of Management to be established. The institute was established in Rohtak on November 16, 2009 under the mentorship of IIM Lucknow, an institute which is itself celebrated its 25th year of existence. IIM-R offers post graduate programs in management.
- Indian Institute of Management Shillong: IIM-S is a business school located in Shillong, Meghalaya. It was established in the year 2008 by the Government of India and is the seventh IIM. The institute was founded by the Union Minister of Human Resource Development along with the Chief Ministers of the North Eastern States in the Review Meeting held at Shillong during June 2004.
- Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirapalli: IIM-T is the eleventh IIM and was founded by Hon’ble Minister for HRD and Telecommunication, Shri Kapil Sibal on January 4, 2011. The institute was established under the mentorship of IIM Bangalore and the Government of India.
- Indian Institute of Management Udaipur: IIM-U is a business school located in Udaipur, Rajasthan. The institute was established in the year 2011. The institute offers the two year postgraduate programme (PGP), one year postgraduate programme (PGPX) and other management development programmes.
Candidates are selected through a Common Admission Test (CAT). The test is conducted every year to get admissions to various programs offered by IIMs.
The Government of India has also decided to open six new IIMs, in the states of Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Bihar, Odisha, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh.
Image courtesy: Getty Images