24th April is going to see the loyalty of voters for big political faces and also their families. The 3rd phase of UP has a very interesting story to tell for 24th April elections as sons, daughters, wives, and daughters-in-law of prominent leaders from UP are in the battle field. Apart from family members there are some big names whose fates are at stake. Let’s have a constituency wise look at the family affairs in politics: Also Read - Farmers Protest: Delhi Borders Closed, Delhi Traffic Police Asks Commuters to Take Alternative Routes
1. Mainpuri- Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh who is popularly known as ‘Netaji’ is contesting from this VIP constituency. This seat is considered as the SP strong hold as it is a Yadav dominant area. Congress has not fielded any candidate from the constituency but a total of 12 candidates are in the fray from here. Prominent ones are Shatrughna Singh Chouhan of BJP, Baba Hardev Singh of AAP and Dr. Sanghmitra Maurya of BSP. Also Read - 'Should They Come With Plough, Oxen?': AAP's Swipe at VK Singh For His Remarks on Agitating Farmers
Dr. Sangmitra Maurya is the daughter of senior BSP leader and former UP minister Swami Prasad Maurya. Also Read - Akshay Kumar Meets Yogi Adityanath, Discusses Possibilities For Film Shooting in Uttar Pradesh
2. Kannauj– Dimple Yadav, wife of Akhilesh Yadav and daughter-in-law of Mulayam Singh Yadav won unopposed in a rare incident of politics in 2012 when her husband Akhilesh vacated the seat after he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. But despite being a VIP constituency she is facing a tough fight form BSP and BJP candidates. Congress again has not fielded any candidate from the constituency as a friendly gesture. A total of 12 candidates are in the fray but the prominent ones are Nirmal Tiwari(BSP), Subrat Pathak(BJP) and Imran Bin Zafar(AAP). Seeing a not so easy fight both Dimple and Akhilesh have been holding road shows, corner meetings and rallies in the area to woo the electorate.
3. Firozabad- Akshay Yadav, yet another member of mighty Yadav family is contesting from this family loyal constituency of Firozabad. Aksha, 27 is the nephew of Mulayam Singh Yadav and son of senior SP National General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav. However, it’s not a smooth ride to parliament for him as he is facing a neck to neck fight from BJP candidate SP Singh Baghel who is a former MP and left SP in 2009 after he was denied a re-nomination from the seat. Baghel is riding high on ‘Modi wave’ and claims to be in a position to settle an old score with his former party. Other candidates in the battle ground are Thakur Vishwadeep Singh (BSP), Rakesh Yadav(AAP), Atul Chaturvedi(INC) and Jai Prakash(Shiv Sena).
4. Mathura- The constituency is in news these days because of ‘Dream Girl’ Hema Malini who is contesting for the first time from this constituency on a BJP ticket. She looks a confident winner at the moment from Mathura, but a closer analysis suggests it won’t be a cakewalk for her. Jayant Singh, son of RLD leader Ajit Singh is said to be giving a tough contest as he is a local leader. There are a total of 20 candidates in the fray and thus the cutting of votes is a certainty. The prominent candidates are Chandan Singh(SP), Pandit Yogesh Kumar Dwivedi(BSP), and Anuj Kumar Garg(AAP).
The prestige of Ajit Singh is at stake as his son Jayant is contesting from here.
5. Fatehpur Sikri- Predominantly a Muslim constituency Fatehpur Sikri has been enjoying the election season as some prominent faces of Bollywood have been seen campaigning for RLD candidate Amar Singh. But the chances of translating the crowd who comes to watch their favourite celebrity into votes looks very thin for Amar Singh.
Pakslika Singh, wife of UP minister Mahendra Aridaman Singh is contesting from this seat who is facing a tough fight from yet another lady candidate Seema Upadhyay, wife of former UP minister of BSP. Among other candidates are Babulal(BJP) and Laxmi(AAP).
The real fight for this seat is said to be between the two wives, one of a minister and the other of a former minister.