Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein on Tuesday, pleaded not guilty to rape and criminal sex act charges in New York City. The disgraced producer walked into court for an arraignment on two counts of rape and one first-degree criminal sex act charge. The hearing in Manhattan comes after a grand jury indicted the former movie mogul last week on charges involving two women. Also Read - Mithun Chakraborty's Wife, Son Mahaakshay Chakraborty Booked With Rape Charges, Cheating
According to a report in The Associated Press, one alleged victim, who has not been identified publicly, told investigators that Weinstein cornered her in a hotel room and raped her. The other accuser, former actress Lucia Evans, has gone public with her account of Weinstein forcing her to perform oral sex at his office in 2004. Also Read - Shehnaaz Gill's Father Santokh Sukh Claims he is Innocent, Says 'Will Accept Being Hanged if Found 1% Guilty'
Dozens more women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct. Prosecutors say those allegations remain under investigation. However, Weinstein denies all allegations of nonconsensual sex. His lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, has challenged the credibility of the alleged victims. Brafman called the rape allegation absurd, saying that the accuser and Weinstein had a decadelong, consensual sexual relationship that continued after the alleged 2013 attack. Also Read - New Sexual Assault Charges Against Harvey Weinstein After he Recovers From COVID-19
CNN quoted his lawyer Brafman, as saying, “Under the circumstances, he’s holding up reasonably well. No one can be happy to be in the position that he is in.” He added, “As terrible a crime as rape is, it is equally reprehensible to be falsely accused of rape, and since Mr. Weinstein has denied these allegations, that’s where we are.”
The charges stem from allegations from two women, one involving an incident in 2004, and one in 2013 — according to the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. A grand jury indicted Weinstein last week on charges involving two women.