Good Friday in 2018 falls on March 30. As part of the Holy week – in build up to Easter Sunday – it generally falls either in the month of March or April every year. It is one of the most important days in the Christian calendar as it marks the day of Jesus Christ’s Crucifixion – traditionally a day of fasting and penance. In most parts of the world – especially in the Christian-dominated western countries – Good Friday is declared as a national holiday; including India. (Also read: Good Friday 2018: Importance, Significance And History Of This Holy Day) Also Read - Good Friday 10 April 2020: Are Banks Open Today? Know Here
Here are a few things you need to know about Good Friday:
1) The day is not called Good Friday because nothing good happened on that day. Even though the origin of the term remains unknown and confusing there are various theories behind it. The day marks the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Also Read - Good Friday 2020: Meaning, History, Importance, Why is it Called Good Friday?
2) Fast and abstinence are needed to be observed as of obligation in the whole Church on Good Friday. The Catholic Church observes Good Friday as a fast day while the Latin Church has only one full meal. From the 16th to the 20th century, as per the Lutheran tradition, Good Friday was the most important religious holiday, and abstention from all worldly works was observed. Also Read - Good Friday Wishes: Best Quotes, HD Wallpapers, SMS, WhatsApp GIF Image Messages, Facebook Status to Wish Your Loved Ones
3) Good Friday is also known as Easter Friday, Holy Friday, Great Friday and Black Friday. Byzantine Christians call it ‘Great Friday’ or ‘Great and Holy Friday’.
4) Former American President Abraham Lincoln was shot dead by actor John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865 – a Good Friday. John Wilkes Booth, a theatre actor, was against Lincoln’s idea of abolishing slavery and thus plotted his killing.
5) Mass is forbidden on Good Friday.
Below are a list of messages you can send your close friends and family members on Good Friday:
1) On This Holy Day, May His Light Guide Your Path. May His Love Grace Your Heart and May His Sacrifice Strengthen your soul! GOOD FRIDAY!
2) Mercy, Peace and Love! May the grace of Lord surround you and be with you on Good Friday.
3) Good Friday marks the slaying of our Jesus, the unblemished lamb, the perfect sacrifice. He took our guilt and blame upon Himself, so we could be with him in paradise.
4) When you face problems in life, don’t ask GOD to take them away. Ask Him to show His purpose, Ask ways how to live a day searching his purpose for you.
5) Life is a maybe, Death is for sure. Sin is the cause, Christ is the cure! Happy Good Friday!