The Food Network, Allrecipies.com, Martha Stewart, etc. have inspired amateur chefs to test their hand at creating indulgent and decadent meals. However, after the meal is prepared, cooked, and eaten, you are left with a substantial amount of leftovers. If you were planning on eating your delicious creation during the week, then you will need to store your foods in containers to keep it  fresh, safe and edible, which brings us to the debate of plastic vs. glass Tupperware. Also Read - Gochujeon or Chilli Pepper Pancakes Recipe: Follow These Easy Steps to Make The Tasty Pancakes at Home

Many believe that plastic is harmful, which is simply not true. At the bottom of plastic storage containers there is usually a small triangle with a number in it, this is the resin identification code, it ranges from one to seven to depict what type of plastic the product is. The safer choices for food are considered to be the numbers one, two, four and five. The number three is seen to be vinyl or polyvinyl, some three’s may even have Bisphenol-A (BPA), six is polystyrene and seven can be many plastics that also run the risk of containing BPA. Also Read - Easy Vegetable Pasta Recipe: With These Easy Steps, You Can Make This Mouth Watering Dish at Home

BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used in manufacturing plastics since the 1960s. It is often found in polycarbonate plastics, epoxy resins, and food packaging. The issue with BPA that makes it particularly dangerous is that it can seep out of the plastic container and into the food stored within them. The likelihood of this incremental contamination increases when the food contents are heated within the plastic containers. BPA is seen as a potential risk to the environment, as well as your health but more so to children, infants, and fetuses, as it is seen to harm their brain, behavior, and prostate gland. Also Read - Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe: Check Out The Easy Steps on How to Make This Crunchy Non-Vegetarian Dish

That being said, the FDA has conducted hundreds of studies, which state that BPA is safe at extremely low levels when found in certain foods. However, there is still an ongoing study assessing how BPA can affect your body. Therefore to reduce your own risk of food contamination when using plastic storage containers, along with checking the resin identification code, keep your polycarbonate plastic cool. Do not microwave your leftovers in the same container you use to store them. Be cautious not to place heated food straight from the stove into the plastic container, allow the food to cool before you begin storing.

While maintaining your own health, it is necessary to be mindful of your environment as well. A study completed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in 2012 found that the U.S. only recycled 14 percent of its plastic containers and packaging material. The other 86 percent of plastic was thrown in with the regular garbage, which can cause greater greenhouse gas emissions. Though not all plastic is recyclable, it is always important to put your green foot forward and try your best to properly discard any/all trash.

Based on these facts regarding plastic containers, glass containers may be seen as the safer choice. Storing your food in a glass dish allows you to move food from the freezer to the oven, and then to the dinner table and dishwasher without any worry about harmful contaminants. Though glass containers may seem more expensive at first, it ends up being the more cost-effective choice. Glass can be safely reused for years so it ends up being a one-time investment.

For all of you top chefs out there, food stored in glass is kept fresh and clean, which provides a better taste for your leftovers when you eat them days later. This is why many sauces are sold in glass containers because the material helps keep their original taste and flavor.

Even when food is reheated in the glass, in comparison to plastic, the difference in taste is clearly evident with glass being the superior of the two. This is a result of the storage device difference in both storage containers.

Therefore, though plastic can be used when taking the necessary precautions, it will make your life much simpler to make the one-time investment in glass containers that you and your family will be using for years to come.