Ghee Pongal is a popular South Indian breakfast recipe. Ghee Pongal provides the much-needed energy to kick off the day and that makes it one of the highly preferred breakfast recipes. Ghee Pongal is made using raw rice, Moong Dal, and loads of Ghee. Ghee Pongal is also known as Khara Pongal or Venn Pongal. Ghee Pongal can also be made using millets instead of rice. You can prepare it in all major festivals and occasions. Watch the video below to know the detailed recipe of Ghee Pongal. Also Read - Fried Chicken Recipe: Follow The Steps And Cook Restaurant Style Fried Chicken at Home
Recipe Also Read - Fish Curry Recipe: Do Try This Flavourful And Crowd Pleaser Dish at Home
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Ready Time: 30 min
Raw Rice – 1 Cup
Moong Dal – ½ Cup
Water – 4 Cups
Ghee – 1 tsp
Ginger (finely chopped) – ½ inch
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Salt – To Taste
Ghee – 5 tbsp
Black Peppercorns – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 10 nos
Asafoetida – 2 pinch
Cashew – 15 nos
How to Prepare Ghee Pongal Recipe
1. Dry roast the Moong Dal in a pan until aromatic.
2. Wash the rice and Moong Dal, drain and keep aside.
3. Heat a pan, add 2 tbsp of Ghee, add the peppercorns and allow
it to splutter.
4. Add the asafoetida, curry leaves and cashews. Once the cashews turn golden brown, add the cumin seeds and remove from the heat. Set this aside.
5. In a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp of ghee and saute the ginger and asafoetida.
6. Add 4 cups of water, bring water to a boil. Add salt to taste.
7. Add the drained rice and dal.
8. Pressure Cook for 4 whistles.
9. Once the pressure settles, open the pressure cooker, add the tempering ingredients, 2 tbsp of ghee and mix well. The rice and Dal have to be in a mashed consistency. Keep mixing until the rice and dal are mashed.