Medhu Vadai is one of the most popular South Indian breakfast dishes. Medhu Vadai is made by grinding Urad Dal into a smooth paste-like texture. Then shallots, ginger, chillis, peppercorns are added to the batter and then the mixture is deep-fried in oil in the shape of a donut. Medhu Vadai is best to eat along with coconut Chutney and Sambar. Medu Vadai is also soaked in curd or rasam or sambar and consumed. Watch the recipe for the best Medhu Vadai here. Also Read - Chicken Mayo Sandwich Recipe: Follow These Simple Steps to Make Scrumptious Mayonnaise Chicken Sandwich
Also Read - Golden Fried Baby Corn Recipe: This Evening Snack is Just Unmissable
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Ready Time: 30 min
Urad Dal – 1 Cup
Shallots – 15 nos
Green Chilli – 2 nos
Ginger – 1 inch
Black Peppercorns – ½ tsp
Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 10 nos
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Salt – 1 tsp
Cold Water – 3 tbsp
How to Make Medhu Vadai
1. Wash and Soak the Urad Dal for 4 hours
2. In a mixer grinder, grind the green chilli and ginger.
3. Add soaked Urad Dal to the same mixer grinder jar.
4. Grind the Urad dal with very little cold water until the batter is fluffy and soft but not too watery.
5. Add finely chopped Shallots, crushed black peppercorns, Chopped curry leaves, asafoetida and salt to the batter.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
7. Wet your hands with water, make small balls of the batter.
8. Use the thumb finger and make a hole in the middle. Drop the Vadai into the oil carefully.
9. Deep fry until the Vadai is crispy and golden brown. Repeat the process until the batter is over.