All it takes to protect your most valuable organ- the heart is a simple set of lifestyle practices. The health of your heart is extremely vital and even the smallest complication can result in fatalities or cause a serious threat to your life. However, there are a large majority of people who do not pay attention to their heart’s health. This could lead to heart conditions, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, stress, and anxiety, etc. India.com got in touch with Himalayan Siddha, Grand Master Akshar to know how yoga can be practised efficiently by those who are suffering from heart diseases. Also Read - Kareena Kapoor Khan is Not Sure If Taimur Ali Khan is Stretching Post Yoga Or Nap | See Photo
There are simple and easy yoga practices that you can inculcate in your daily life. This will ensure that your heart remains healthy which in turn leads to overall well-being. Making small but effective lifestyle changes such as following a healthy diet, getting adequate sleep, nutrition, exercise, and practising meditation can work wonders for you. Follow these simple practices to benefit your heart and your physical and mental well-being. Start by setting aside a minimum of 20 minutes each day towards yoga or any form of exercise. You can practice each of the following techniques in a sequence or do them as per your comfort. Also Read - Yoga For Breast Cancer: Is it Safe To Practice Yoga if You Have Breast Cancer?
1. Yoga for a healthy heart: Pranamasana
Formation of the posture Also Read - Weight Loss: How Often Should You Exercise To Lose Weight
- Begin in Samasthithi
- Stand straight with your spine aligned and an erect posture
- Relax your shoulders and bring your feet together
- Join your palms in front of your chest ensuring that your elbows are aligned with your wrists.
- Look straight ahead or close your eyes
- Gently inhale and exhale
2. Yoga for a healthy heart: Hridaya Mudra
A powerful mudra, the Hridaya Mudra is also called Apan Vayu Mudra or Mritsanjeevani Mudra. It is known to help as first aid for heart attacks.
Hridaya Mudra (Heart Mudra) is valuable for those who have suffered from any heart-related conditions including a heart attack. The mudra balances the Heart Chakra (Anahata Chakra) by pressing the thumb (fire element), the ring finger (earth element), and the middle finger (space element) together at the tips. This combination of the elements of fire, earth, and space and the pressure at the tips of these fingers have a scientific significance. It helps to detoxify and cleanse the body. It increases the supply of oxygen to the heart thereby improving the heart’s power and function.
Formation of the posture
- Sit down in a meditative pose such as Sukhasana or Padmasana and keep your back straight. You can also sit on a chair with your back straight
- Join the tip of your index finger to gently touch the base of your thumb. Touch the tips of your middle, ring and thumb fingers.
- Straighten your little finger
- Do this with both hands and place the back of your palms on your knees
- Close your eyes and direct your attention to your breath
- Helps to direct Oxygen towards the heart
- Controls any problems related to the heart
- Checks blood pressure
- Redirects prana towards the heart, controlling any problems related to the heart.
- Opens the heart at an emotional level too, balancing emotions and tensions
- Also balances the digestive fire in our body
- Treats insomnia, migraine, and asthma
Prevention is better than cure and yoga is a miraculous practice that prevents diseases and illnesses. Yoga not only keeps your heart strong, but also boosts your immune system, improves the functioning of all your organs, and even helps you maintain a balanced weight