Top Recommended Stories

Army Rescues Trekker, Trapped in Malampuzha Mountains For 43 Hours In Kerala | WATCH

Babu, 23, a local youth who used to enjoy trekking along the hills of Malampuzha, had attempted to scale the rocky Cheradu hill along with two boys on Monday afternoon when he slipped and fell into a crevice.

Updated: February 9, 2022 12:06 PM IST

By News Desk | Edited by Analiza Pathak

Kerala Trekker Stuck in Malampuzha Mountains For 43 Hrs Rescued By Army
Kerala Trekker Stuck in Malampuzha Mountains For 43 Hrs Rescued By Army

Thiruvananthapuram: A trekker who was trapped in a niche on a hill in Malampuzha in Palakkad district of Kerala was rescued by the Army on Wednesday. Teams from the Indian Army had undertaken rescue operations to extricate the trekker stuck in a steep gorge in Malampuzha mountains in Kerala’s Palakkad.

Also Read:

Babu had trekked up the mountain with two friends on Monday. While descending, he slipped and fell into a deep gorge, estimated to be at least 200 ft lower than the summit. He injured his leg in the process. His friends, who failed to rescue him themselves, reached the base of the hill and informed authorities following which efforts began to rescue him. He was trapped on the hill side between rocks in the scorching heat with no water or food for more than a day.

You may like to read


Earlier, Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan spoke about the incident and said the efforts are in full swing to rescue the youth. Taking to Twitter, Vijayan wrote, “Efforts are in full swing to rescue the youth trapped in Malampuzha Cherat hill. There are currently two units of the Indian Army at the scene. Army members were able to talk to him. The rescue operation will be intensified today. Air Force helicopter is ready to be deployed.”

Army Unit Deployed For Rescue Operation

In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, two Indian Army teams reached Palakkad district in Kerala to aid in rescue efforts after a 23-year-old man got trapped in a hill cleft while trekking on Monday.

The two Indian Army teams were requisitioned by the state government. One team of twelve personnel from Madras Regiment Centre, Wellington, reached the rescue site by road at 1.30 am. This team consisted of mountain qualified personnel with specialist equipment.

The second team of 22 personnel from Parachute Regiment centre, Bengaluru, was first moved by aircraft to Sulur. The team reached the rescue location by 4 am on Wednesday.

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest Kerala News on