Til or sesame is a common ingredient in most dishes that are made this time of the year. Makar Sankranti celebrates the turn of seasons and the entry of the sun into the Makar rashi. Sesame seeds, by nature, are hot and therefore perfect to warm you up in this season. It is believed that sesame seeds can eliminate sins if they are used in drinking water or its oil is used before bathing. According to Ayurveda consuming sesame seeds in winter is good for one’s general health and well being. It is also believed that sesame oil and sesame seeds emit and absorb high amounts of Sattva frequencies. ALSO READ: Makar Sankranti 2017: These are the traditional sweets eaten on the kite flying festival in different states of India Also Read - Religious Guru Says Women Who Cook During Menstruation Will Be Reborn As 'Bitch', Trolled Massively
Til or sesame seeds are also a great source of manganese and copper besides being a source of magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, vitamin B1 and B6, molybdenum, zinc, dietary fiber, carbohydrates and proteins. Besides these nutrients, sesame seeds also contain two unique substances: sesamin and sesamolin, which are proven to help in lowering cholesterol and preventing high blood pressure. Sesamin also helps protect the liver from oxidative damage. Thus, Til ladoos or ladoos made out of sesame seeds, are perhaps the few things in this world that are delicious and healthy at the same time. We got a Maharashtrian home chef to spill her secret recipe for Til Ladoo. ALSO READ: Here’s how to make traditional Sweet Pongal to celebrate the harvest festival Also Read - Watch | How China Is Using AI Robots and Drones to Fight the Coronavirus Outbreak
How to make Til Ladoo for Sankranti 2017
Also Read - Republic Day: Try Impeccable Tri Color Ragi Rava Idli on The Occasion
Ingredients for Til Ladoo
1 bowl white sesame seeds
1/2 bowl peanuts
50 gm jaggery (chikkicha gul)
12 tsp cardamom powder
4 to 5 tsp clarified butter
Method to make Til Ladoo
1. Roast dry sesames seeds in a pan at low flame. Remove it in plate
2. Heat Peanuts in the same manner. Remove it in plate and crush it (do not make it into powder).
3. Heat pan and add butter. Add jaggery to heated butter and melt it completely. ALSO READ: Lohri Recipes: How to make yummy Palak Paneer Paratha and Corn Dhoklas with moong dal
4. Add roasted sesames seeds and cardamom powder to it. Mix it well for at least two minutes.
5. Pour mixture in plate. Apply ghee on hands and start making ladoos.
6. Cool the ladoos for 10 minutes at room temperature. Store them in air tight container.
Here is a video of how to make Til Ladoo for Sankranti
The recipe is by a home chef who runs Being Marathi, a popular YouTube channel.
Do you have recipes to share? Send them in! Email your recipes with photos of the dish you’ve made to email@example.com and we will be happy to carry select recipes right here on India.com