Top Recommended Stories
Wondering What Happens When You Refrigerate Your Bread? Here’s What we Know
We have a common practice of storing food in the fridge. However, storing for a longer duration of time might lead to serious health issues. Here’s what we know.
Storing Bread in Refrigerator: We all have the habit of storing bread or loaves in refrigerators. However, the habit of storing food may not be healthy for the body. We are so indulged in our day-to-day activities that little do we think about the food texture and taste. In some countries, people have the habit of storing it in bread boxes in the kitchen. The storing of bread boxes has led to people storing bread in the refrigerator. Lately, a lot of people have questioned about nutritional aspect and we have your answer here.
According to Kimberly Baker, Extensions Food Programs and Safety director at Clemson University, a digital journal report suggests storing bread in the refrigerator may not interfere with the health quotient of the bread. However, bread becomes less palatable due to the cold temperature of the fridge might turn the starch in your bread to lose moisture and recrystallise. The report suggests the loss of moisture would make the bread dry, tough, and give a stale flavor.
Which Place is The Best to Store The Bread?
Homemade bread can be stored at normal room temperature or the age-old way of storing it in the bread box. “Homemade bread stored at room temperature will have the best quality if used within three to five days,” adds Baker.
This is not the case with commercially prepared bread. Commercially prepared bread has an expiry date of 5-7 days. Thus, the best way to consume commercially prepared bread is to stick to the given time frame and eat it within that period. In this way, the freshness will remain intact too.
5 Ways to Store Bread
- Store bread in an airtight container.
- Wrap bread in an air-tight plastic bag to block the entry of air or moisture.
- Wrap bread in an air-tight plastic bag and cover it with aluminum foil. This helps in keeping the freshness intact and increases the shelf life of bread.
- Although refrigerated bread can long last till six months, it is advised to consume it within the time frame.
- You can also store the bread at normal room temperature and consume it within 2-3 days.