New Delhi: In yet another notice issued to BJP’s Lok Sabha candidate from Bhopal Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the Election Commission on Sunday sought a reply from her based on a complaint that she was campaigning during the three-day period when she was barred by the panel from doing the same. Also Read - EC Calls All-Party Meeting In Kolkata As COVID Cases Surge In Bengal, Discussion Over Poll Campaigns Likely
Notably, the EC has issued a total of three notices to Sadhvi Pragya since her nomination from Bhopal Lok Sabha seat was announced by the BJP. Also Read - EC Bars BJP'S Rahul Sinha, Sends Notice To Dilip Ghosh Over Remarks On Cooch Behar Violence
Earlier on May 1, the Election Commission barred Sadhvi Pragya Thakur from campaigning for 72 hours starting 6 a.m on Thursday, for seeking votes on religious lines thereby violating the model code of conduct (MCC). In its order, the poll panel “strongly condemned” her remarks and warned her not to repeat “such misconduct” in future. The Commission barred her from holding public meetings, processions, rallies, road shows and giving interviews, and making public utterances in the media in connection with the ongoing elections for three days. Also Read - West Bengal Election 2021: Mamata Banerjee Stages Dharna in Kolkata to Protest EC's 24-Hour Campaign Ban
Thakur was issued two notices by the EC — one for her remarks during a TV interview and another for making remarks against former ATS chief Hemant Karkare. In an interview to a television channel over the weekend, Thakur had said that she was among the people who demolished the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992 and that she was “proud” of it. “We removed a blot from the country. We went to demolish the structure. I feel extremely proud that God gave me this opportunity and I could do that. We will make sure a Ram temple is constructed at that site,” Thakur told the channel.
The first notice against Thakur was issued after she said that former ATS chief Karkare died at the hands of terrorists during the 26/11 attack in Mumbai because she “cursed” him.
Following a backlash, Thakur apologised admitting that Karkare was a “martyr”. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had distanced itself from her remarks.
The 49-year-old is an accused in the Malegaon blasts case in which six people died and around 100 were injured in 2006. She is currently out on bail and her candidature has been challenged in the court by the father of one of the those dying in Malegaon.
(with IANS inputs)