Lucknow: Barely out of one trouble and Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan finds himself in another. On Tuesday, the Election Commission has issued a fresh show-cause notice for making allegedly inflammatory remarks at various places in Uttar Pradesh in the past few days. (Also read: ‘Will Show Azam Who Bajrang Bali is,’ Says Giriraj Singh)Also Read - Samajwadi Party Leader Azam Khan Walks Out Of Sitapur Jail After 2 Years
The EC has given Khan 24 hours to respond to the notice, saying that prima facie, he is guilty of violating the provisions of the model code of conduct. Also Read - BREAKING: SP Leader Azam Khan Gets Interim Bail in Forgery Case
The EC said that on one occasion, he had allegedly said that ‘fascists were trying to kill’ him. On another occasion, he had allegedly claimed that the prime minister has killed Muslims. Also Read - Azam Khan's Bail Delay: Supreme Court Says Travesty of Justice, Hearing On May 11
Khan has been served a notice by the National Commission for Women which has also urged the EC to bar SP’s Rampur candidate from contesting these Lok Sabha elections for his objectionable comment against rival and BJP candidate Jaya Prada.
The EC had, on Monday, barred Khan from campaigning for 72 hours over his comment. In its order, the EC reportedly said Khan’s comment was “not only indecent but also derogatory and totally uncalled for”.
It may be noted that the poll panel had earlier banned Khan from campaigning in Uttar Pradesh during the 2014 elections as well. But he is “still indulging in using very objectionable language in election campaigning,” the panel said in its order.