New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadanvis asserted that BJP candidate and Malegaon blast accused Pragya Singh Thakur should not have made controversial statement against former Mumbai Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) chief and 26/11 Mumbai terror attack martyr Hemant Karkare.
“Late Mr Karkare was a very brave and upright police officer and will be revered as a martyr forever. Sadhvi Pragya’s remark is personal opinion and we don’t support it,” Fadanvis said. He added,”She has also apologised and said that it (the statement) was made out of personal pain. However I feel that such statement should never be made.”
Earlier on Friday, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 from Bhopal, faced backlash over her remark against Karkare. However, she issued an apology later.
“I felt that the enemies of the country were being benefited from it, therefore I take back my statement and apologise for it, it was my personal pain,” the BJP candidate from Bhopal said. She also added, “He (Hemant Karkare) died from the bullets of terrorists from the enemy country, he is certainly a martyr.”
The ruling BJP had also distanced itself from her remark, saying, “BJP considers him a martyr. This is Sadhvi Pragya’s personal statement which she might have given because of the mental and physical torture she had faced.”
Addressing the media on Friday, Sadhvi had said, “Maine kaha tera (Mumbai ATS chief late Hemant Karkare) sarvanash hoga. Theek sava mahine memaarain sutak lagta hai. Jis din main gayi thi us din iske sutak lag gaya tha.Aur theek sava mahine mein jis din atankwadiyon ne isko , us din uska anth hua.” (Hemant Karkare falsely implicated me in Malegaon blasts and treated me very badly. I told him your entire clan will be erased. He died because of his karma,” Sadhvi said.)