New Delhi: Newly-elected MPs of the BJP-led NDA on Saturday formally elected Narendra Modi as the leader of Bharatiya Janata Party and National Democratic Alliance, two days after they scored a massive mandate in the 2019 General election.Also Read - PM Modi Wears Unique Uttarakhand Traditional Cap Embellished with Brahmakamal Brooch, Here's All About His R-Day Attire
The NDA MPs met at the Parliament’s Central Hall to give their assent to Modi’s second term as the Prime Minister of India. By voting in favour, the congregation set in motion the process to form the 17th Lok Sabha. Also Read - Parade, Parakram And Pride: India Witnesses Many Firsts at 73rd Republic Day Ceremony
Click here for all updates from the 2019 Lok Sabha elections Also Read - All Must Remain Alert, Continue Precautions Against COVID: President Kovind in His Address to Nation
After being voted unanimously as the next Prime Minister, Narendra Modi addressed the NDA meet and expressed his gratitude to all the MPs and the national mandate.
In his over 75-minute address after being elected the leader of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, Modi said the massive mandate has multiplied responsibilities, and advised lawmakers on their public conduct, saying they should avoid speaking to the media for publicity and shun the “VIP culture”.
However, it was his suggestion to the MPs in his maiden speech to them.. that they work without any discrimination and win the trust of minorities… that stood out as the alliance, especially the BJP, is often criticised for being indifferent to their concerns and not pursuing inclusive politics.
“Our mantra should be ‘sabka saath, sabka vikas and sabka vishwas’ (with all, for everybody’s development and having everyone’s trust),” he said in the speech which he began by bowing to the Constitution.
“They (minorities) cannot be handed over to them (Opposition), who benefit because we keep quiet,” Modi said at Parliament’s Central Hall, accusing his rivals of making minorities live in fear and exploiting them during elections as part of their vote-bank politics.
We Have to Earn Trust of Minorities, Strive For ‘Sabka Vishwas’: PM Modi’s Top 10 Quotes From NDA Meet
In addition, President Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday appointed Narendra Modi to the Office of Prime Minister of India after the BJP-led NDA delegation submitted a letter in favour of his candidature.
President Kovind had on Friday dissolved the 16th Lok Sabha with immediate effect on the recommendation of the Union cabinet. The President had accepted the resignation of PM Modi and his council of ministers but asked them to continue as caretaker until the formation of a new government.
HERE ARE ALL UPDATES FROM THE NDA MEET:
- President Ram Nath Kovind appoints Narendra Modi to the Office of Prime Minister of India.
- PM Narendra Modi arrives at the Rashtrapati Bhavan to meet the President.
- A letter stating that Narendra Modi had been elected leader of the BJP Parliamentary Party was handed over to the President. Letters of support from NDA constituent parties were also handed over to the President.
- Swearing-in ceremony of Narendra Modi as the Prime Minister likely on May 30.
- PM Narendra Modi heads to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- “We have worked for sabka saath, sabka vikas, now we have to strive for sabka vishwas,” the PM added amidst loud cheering from the council of MPs in attendance.
- “The way the poor have been cheated, the minorities have been deceived the same way. It would have been good if their education, their health had been in focus. I expect from you in 2019 that you would be able to make a hole in that deception. We have to earn their trust,” Modi said in the Parliament’s Central Hall.
- “We ran government for poor people between 2014-19, I can say the poor elected government this time,” said Narendra Modi.
- “Don’t trust media reports on names being considered for ministerial berths, responsibilities will be given as per norms,” claimed Modi.
- Newly-elected BJP and NDA leader Narendra Modi asked MPs to shun VIP culture, added they should stand in queues wherever required, like other citizens.
- Modi coined a new term, NARA, ‘National Ambition, Regional Aspiration’ and asked all MPs to work for the welfare of both the country and their constituencies.
- Urging the council to conduct themselves with dignity, PM Modi said, “Never let arrogance creep in, do not think anything- even that Modi made you win. People made you win.”
- Continuing his speech, PM said, “I’m talking to you after bowing before the constitution, there can not be a ‘bhed-rekha’ for a people’s representative. We are for those who were with us, we are also for those who will be with us.”
- “This is for the first time in Independent India that such large number of women MPs are sitting in the Parliament. This has been made possible due to women power, PM Modi asserted.
- “We are here for those who trusted us today. We are here for those too whose trust we are yet to win,” said Modi in midst of loud applause.
- Speaking of the nature of the mandate that the NDA got in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, newly-elected NDA Leader Narendra Modi said, “These elections were pro-incumbency. This pro-incumbency wave is tied with the thread of trust…The trust was not only between people and govt but also among people themselves. This gave birth to that trust.”
- PM Narendra Modi addressing NDA parliamentary meeting said, “You all have elected me as the leader, I think of it as a part of the system, I’m one of you, equal to you.”
- “People have accepted us due to our ‘seva bhav’. One has to prepare oneself to be always ready to help people even when you move through the lanes of politics and power,” Modi said.
- Narendra Modi begins with a greeting and says, “You all deserve greetings but those elected for the first time deserve an even bigger one. I offer all of you my greetings.”
- Narendra Modi begins address at the NDA Parliamentary board meeting at Central Hall of Parliament.
- Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi greets Narendra Modi, after he was elected as the leader of BJP and NDA at the NDA meeting.
Narendra Modi touches feet of BJP veteran leader LK Advani.
- Narendra Modi seeks blessings from senior BJP leader LK Advani, at the NDA meeting. He has been elected as the leader of BJP and NDA.
- SAD’s Parkash Singh Badal proposes Narendra Modi’s name as the leader of NDA Parliamentary Party. JDU Chief Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray endorse the proposal.
- Chants of ‘Bharat Mata ki Jai‘ reverberate in the Central Hall.
- PM Modi elected leader of BJP in Lok Sabha, announces Amit Shah.
- Modi greets the congregation at the Parliament Central Hall.
- Narendra Modi arrives at Parliament’s Central Hall.
- Actor-turned-politician Hema Malini and newly elected BJP MP Sunny Deol, arrive for the NDA Parliamentary Board meeting.
- Newly-elected MPs and other leaders start to arrive for the NDA Parliamentary Board meeting.