New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday held a roadshow at his Lok Sabha constituency Varanasi, where thousands gathered and welcomed him wholeheartedly. The Prime Minister first garlanded the statue of Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya and then began his mega roadshow.
Click here for all updates on Lok Sabha elections 2019
The procession was earlier expected to end at about 7 PM at the Dashashwamedh Ghat. Some of the top leaders who accompanied PM Modi included BJP president Amit Shah, Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath and Manoj Tiwari.
PM Modi’s caravan covered a stretch of over six kilometres, from the Lanka area to the Dashashwamedh Ghat via Godoliya.
HERE ARE THE TOP UPDATES FROM PM MODI’S VARANASI VISIT TODAY:
- Talking on the Pulawam terror attack in J&K, Modi said, “40 of our jawans were martyred in Pulwama…we have killed 42 terrorists in that area. This is our way of working.”
- “In last five years, there has been no terror attack on any religious place,” said Modi. He further said that the Kumbh Mela was held at peace. Modi added, “Terrorism is now restricted to a small area in Jammu & Kashmir.”
- Modi added that Kashi had given him the opportunity to be the MP and also the PM. He said, “It gave me the strength to speak to terrorists in their language. We told them that the New India doesn’t just suffer in silence, it pays them back in the same coin.”
- Addressing the rally in Varanasi, Modi said in Hindi, “No matter what happens, I think about the nation first. Be it Pulwama terror attack, Uri strike or any other incident in my life, my only mantra in life is Nation First.”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi pays his respects during the aarti.
Ganga aarti begins at the Dashashwamedh Ghat.
- PM Narendra Modi, BJP national president Amit Shah, UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath reach Dashashwamedh Ghat for Ganga aarti.
- Preparations are underway at the Dashashwamedh Ghat for the evening aarti, which the Prime Minister is expected to attend any time now.
Visual from the Dashashwamedh Ghat in Varanasi where the Prime Minister is expected any time now.
The massive crowd accompanying PM Modi’s caravan in Varanasi.
PM Modi waves at the crowd during his mega roadshow in Varanasi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi begins his roadshow.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi garlands the statue of Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya in Varanasi’s Lanka.
PM Modi folds hands, greets the crowd gathered at Lanka in Varanasi.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath reaches Varanasi’s Lanka ahead of PM Narendra Modi’s visit.
- The Prime Minister has reached Varanasi.
People gather around the statue of Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya in Varanasi, which will be garlanded by Prime Minister Narendra Modi today.
JD(U) president Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray will accompany Modi as he files his nomination around 11.30 am on Friday. Shiromani Akali Dal’s Parkash Singh Badal and Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan will also be in attendance, the BJP said.
On Friday, the PM will address booth heads and party workers at 9.30 am and go on to worship the city god Kal Bhairav at 11 am.
“At 11.30 am, PM will file his nomination for Varanasi Lok Sabha seat,” said the BJP.
“In this (nomination) program, Akali Dal’s senior leader and former chief minister (Punjab) Shri Parkash Singh Badal ji, Bihar chief minister and JDU chief Shri Nitish Kumar ji, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray ji, central minister and president of Lok Janshakti Party Ram Vilas Paswanji will be present,” the party press release had said.
The release added that leaders of AIADMK, Apna Dal and North-East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) will also be present.