Lok Sabha Elections 2019: Voting for Phase 4 of the Lok Sabha Elections has begun. In total, 71 parliamentary constituencies spreading across nine states are voting today. Over 12.79 crore voters will decide the fate of 945 candidates in 17 seats in Maharashtra, 13 each in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, eight in West Bengal, six each in Madhya Pradesh and Odisha, five in Bihar, three in Jharkhand.
Here are the live updates:
- Estimated voter turnout till 3 pm for the 4th phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 is 49.53%. Voting is underway in 72 constituencies, across 9 states.
- Voter turnout till 2 PM: Rajasthan- 44.62%, Madhya Pradesh-43.44%, Bihar-37.71%, West Bengal 52.37%, Maharashtra 29.93%, J&K-6.6%, Jharkhand-44.90%, Odisha-35.79%, Uttar Pradesh-34.42%
- Nearly 39 per cent polling was recorded till 2 pm, voting is underway in 72 constituencies, across 9 states.
- Atishi Marlena, the AAP leader and East Delhi candidate, has written to Returning Officer, East Delhi Constituency regarding “repeated violation of Model Code of Conduct by cricketer and BJP candidate Gautam Gambhir by distributing pamphlets without details such as printer’s name and quantity.”
- Sachin Tendulkar, his wife Anjali Tendulkar, daughter Sara Tendulkar, and son Arjun Tendulkar cast their vote at polling center number 203 in Bandra. Sara Tendulkar and Arjun Tendulkar are first time voters.
- Actor Salman Khan cast his vote at polling booth number 283 in Bandra, Mumbai.
- Kareena Kapoor Khan also cast her vote in Mumbai.
- Actors Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan cast their vote at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Juhu.
- BJP candidate from Amethi, Smriti Irani and her husband Zubin Irani cast their vote at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Versova.
- Congress MP, Sushmita Dev said, “We filed 8 complaints to the EC on behalf of the party against the PM and Amit Shah regarding their speeches on armed forces, why no action is being taken? EC can dismiss our complaints but not acting on them is against the law of the land.”
- BJP’s Lok Sabha candidate from Mathura, Hema Malini and her daughters Esha Deol and Ahana Deol cast their vote in Mumbai’s Vile Parle.
- Union Minister and BJP leader Piyush Goyal cast his vote at Walsingham School, Malabar Hill in Mumbai. “This election is now a Tsunami election. North-South, East and West, Modi wave has overtaken the country. PM Modi is the tallest leader today in the country,” said Goyal.
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray, his wife Rashmi Thackeray and son Aditya Thackeray cast their vote at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Gandhi Nagar. BJP’s candidate from Mumbai North Central LS seat Poonam Mahajan was also present.
- Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar cast their vote in Maharashtra’s Mumbai.
- Prem Singh Chandumajra, Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) Lok Sabha candidate from Anandpur Sahib, filed his nomination at DC office in Punjab’s Ropar.
- Actor turned politician Sunny Deol filed his nomination as the BJP candidate from the Gurdaspur parliamentary constituency in Punjab along with his brother and actor Bobby Deol.
- A complaint has been filed against Bhagwant Mann, sitting Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MP and candidate from the Sangrur Lok Sabha constituency over alleged discrepancies in his nomination affidavit.
- Polling percentage recorded till 11 am was 17% in Odisha (6), 34.71% in West Bengal (8 seats), 21.15% in Uttar Pradesh (13 seats).
- Actor Kangana Ranaut cast her vote at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Khar.
- Chairman of Mahindra Group, Anand Mahindra cast his vote in Maharashtra’s Malabar Hill. Mahindra said, “We all have been infected by the virus of progress and growth. Even if a coalition government comes, it should work towards progress and growth of the country.”
- Erstwhile King of Jodhpur, Gaj Singh cast his vote at booth number 127 in Rajasthan’s Jodhpur. BJP’s Gajendra Singh Shekhawat and Congress’ Vaibhav Gehlot are two of the candidates from the Jodhpur constituency.
- Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and his wife Renu Namboodiri cast their vote at polling booth number 167 at M.M.K. College in Mumbai’s Bandra.
- Union Minister and BJP candidate Babul Supriyo’s car has been vandalised in Bengal’s Asansol.
- An electoral officer informed that 17 per cent voter turnout has been recorded till 11 AM in Odisha. Here is the voter turnout in the various constituencies of Odisha:
1) Mayurbhanj – 18.14 per cent
2) Balasore – 19.59 per cent
3) Bhadrak – 15.46 per cent
4) Jajapur – 12.74 per cent
5) Kendrapara – 24.78 per cent
- Congress candidate from Mumbai North Central seat, Priya Dutt cast her vote at a polling booth at St. Anne’s High School in Mumbai’s Bandra.
- Estimated polling percentage of 29.21 per cent has been recorded till 11 AM in Jharkhand.
- 17.07 per cent voter turnout recorded in five parliamentary constituencies of Darbhanga, Ujiarpur, Samastipur, Begusarai and Munger, in Bihar, till 11 AM.
- Voting in Jammu & Kashmir is underway at polling booth number 19 in Vanpura, in Kulgam’s Qazigund.
- A woman was carried by a family member and a polling staff to polling booth number 181 in Mumbai’s Mahim so that she can cast her vote.
- Actors Bhagyashree and Sonali Bendre cast their votes at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Vile Parle.
- Congress MP Sushmita Dev has filed a petition before the Supreme Court, seeking urgent and necessary directions to the Election Commission to take a decision on the complaints filed against PM Modi and BJP President Amit Shah over alleged violations of electoral laws, stated news agency ANI. ( Also Read: Direct EC to Act on Plaints Against PM Modi, Amit Shah For Model Code Violation: Cong to SC)
- The voter turnout recorded till 9 AM in the various parliamentary constituencies of West Bengal are as follows:1) Baharampur – 18.10 per cent
2) Krishnanagar – 17.27 per cent
3) Ranaghat – 16.94 per cent
4) Bardhaman Purba – 18.24 per cent
5) Bardhaman-Durgapur – 16.12 per cent
6) Asansol – 17.53 per cent
7) Bolpur – 17.39 per cent
8) Birbhum – 13.61 per cent
9) Krishnaganj – 15.51 per cent
- BJP delegation including Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Vijay Goel & Anil Baluni are scheduled to meet the Election Commission later in the day over the issue of poll-related violence in West Bengal. (Also Read: BJP to Complain to EC About Poll-related Violence in West Bengal)
- HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh cast his vote at polling booth number 40 & 41 at Peddar Road of Mumbai.
- Actor Aamir Khan and his wife Kiran Rao cast their votes at a polling booth in St. Anne’s High School in Bandra of Maharashtra.
- For the first time, polling is conducted in Jharkhand’s Naxal-affected area at booth number 249 in Jagodih area of Palamu constituency.
- Here are the parliamentary constituencies of Maharashtra that went to polling today along with its polling percentage recorded till 9 AM.
- BJP MP candidate Jay Panda from Kendrapar visited polling booth number 38 in the parliamentary constituency in Odisha. He said,”Today, we registered 14-15 complaints with poll authorities over disturbance&attempts of booth rigging at different polling booths.We want free and fair polls.”
- The voting percentage recorded till 9 am was 6.82% in Maharashtra (17 seats), 11.11% in Madhya Pradesh (6 seats) and 9% in Odisha (6) and 16.90% in West Bengal (8 seats).
- The overall voter turnout till 09:00 AM in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag is 1.3%. Here is a break-up of the voter percentage:1. Kulgam recorded 288 votes which is 0.3%2. Noorabad recorded 1786 votes which is 2.3%3. HS Bugh recorded 163 votes which is 0.2%4. Devsar recorded 2174 votes which is 2.4%
- BJP candidate Babul Supriyo further alleged that the votes are being rigged by the TMC workers at booth number 283. He entered into arguments at the polling booth and claimed that Bengal Police is threatening the polling agents and BJP workers at Booth no. 172 of Bilkumari village in Palashipara assembly constituency under Krishananagar LS Constituency.
- Actor Madhuri Dixit cast her vote at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Juhu.
- NCP Chief Sharad Pawar cast his vote at polling booth 31 in Tardeo of South Mumbai.
- Odisha registers 9% of polling by 9 AM.
- Massive clashes have erupted between TMC- BJP cadres at Jemua while voters were observing a poll boycott. Police resort to lathi-charge. RAF rushed to the spot.
- Veteran actress Shubha Khote cast her vote at a polling booth in Mumbai’s Juhu.
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath cast his vote at polling booth number 17 in Shikarpur located in Chhindwara district of Madhya Pradesh.
- CPI candidate Kanhaiya Kumar, who is contesting against BJP leader Giriraj Singh in Begusarai, arrived at the city in Bihar to cast his vote. He stated that those who bring bad name or disrepute to Begusarai will be defeated at Begusarai itself.
- BJP sitting MP Paresh Rawal and his wife Swaroop Sampat cast their vote at polling booth number 250-256 at Jamna Bai School in Vile Parle of Mumbai.
Paresh Rawal casts his vote. Photo Credit: ANI.
- Bihar records a voter turnout of 3.79 per cent in Samastipur, 2 per cent in Begusarai, 3.76 per cent in Ujiarpur, 4.1 per cent in Darbhanga, 4.5 per cent in Munger till 8: 00AM.
- Voters in West Bengal’s Pandabesar, Asansol constituency are demanding central forces and have boycotted polls in two polling booths 222, 226.
- Gopal Shetty reaches with family to cast vote at Borivali west in Mumbai.
Gopal Shetty cast his vote with family today.
- BJP MP candidate from Gorakhpur, Ravi Kishan cast his vote at a polling booth in Uttar Pradesh’s Goregaon.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das cast his vote at polling booth number 40 & 41 at Peddar Road.
- BJP MP candidate from Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur, Ravi Kishan waits in queue to cast his vote at a polling booth in Goregaon.
- Veteran actor Rekha cast her vote at polling booth number 283 in Mumbai’s Bandra.
Rekha cast her vote in Mumbai. Photo Credit: ANI
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Shaktikanta Das waits in queue to cast his vote at polling booth number 40 & 41 at Peddar Road in Mumbai.
- BJP MP Candidate from Mumbai North Central, Poonam Mahajan cast her vote at polling booth number 48 in Worli.
- Voting underway at a polling station in Asansol of West Bengal. In total 8 parliamentary constituencies will go to the polls today in this state in the fourth phase of Lok Sabha elections.
Voting begins in West Bengal. Photo Credit: ANI.
- Voting process halts at booth number 111 in Himachal Pradesh’s Hamirpur following an EVM malfunction.
- Some of the celebrities who are set to vote today along with their family are Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor, Ranbir Singh, Javed Akhtar, Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Salim Khan, Sunny and Bobby Deol, Akshay Kumar and Hrithik Roshan.
- Former Rajasthan CM and BJP leader Vasundhara Raje Scindia cast her vote at polling booth number 33 in Jhalawar.
Vasundhara Raje Scindia cast her vote today. Photo Credit: ANI
- Voting is yet to begin at booth number 286/184 and 286/185 in West Bengal’s Bolpur. Meanwhile, an EVM glitch has been detected.
- Anil Ambani cast his vote at voting centre number 216 at GD Somani School in Cuffe Parade of Mumbai.
- Union Minister and sitting MP from Bihar’s Nawada, Giriraj Singh, cast his vote at polling booth number 33 in Barahiya of Lakhisarai district.
- Voters queue outside polling in Mumbai parliamentary constituency. Here is a visual:
Besides, polling will also be held in the second of the three phases in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag constituency. According to the Election Commission of India, the polling will conclude at 6 PM, except for the sensitive regions of Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand and parts of Madhya Pradesh, where it will end at 4 pm.
The key contestants of the phase IV elections include Union ministers Giriraj Singh, Subhash Bhamre, S S Ahluwalia and Babul Supriyo of the BJP and former Union ministers Salman Khurshid and Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury of the Congress. Among others to watch out for are Kanhaiya Kumar (CPI), Baijayant Panda (BJP), Urmila Matondkar (Congress), Dimple Yadav (Samajwadi Party), Satabdi Roy (TMC) and Milind Deora (Congress).