New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi filed his nomination for the Lok Sabha elections from the Varanasi constituency on Friday around 11:30 AM.
Preceding nomination, the Prime Minister reached Varanasi Thursday evening and cheered on by a massive crowd, held a mega road show.
Click here for all updates on Lok Sabha elections 2019
Huge crowds turned out to cheer the Prime Minister who was symbolically dressed in a saffron kurta and ‘angavastram’. Modi began his journey from the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) where he paid tributes to the statue of Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya. The roadshow meandered through the ancient temples and ghats such as Assi, Bhadini, Sonarpura, Madanpura, Jangambari and Godowlia and culminated at the Dashashwamedh Ghat where the Prime Minister held a ‘puja’ and attended the ‘Ganga pujan’ after the Ganga aarti.
Varanasi will go to polls in the last phase on May 19.
HERE ARE THE LIVE UPDATES ON PM NARENDRA MODI FILING NOMINATION IN VARANASI:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi files his nomination from Varanasi.
Union home minister Rajnath Singh attending Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s nomination filing in Varanasi today said that the NDA will get a three-fourth majority this Lok Sabha election.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi offers prayers at Kaal Bhairav Temple in Varanasi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi heads to the DM’s office in Varanasi to file his nomination for the Lok Sabha election.
- The crowd cheers on when the Prime Minister says, “Kamal ka phool daba ke toh dekho, kaisi sungand aati hai…” while explaining how to urge voters to give BJP a chance.
- “Political pundits will now have a hard time understanding how for the first time since Independence there is pro-incumbency in the country,” PM thunders while the crowd chants ‘Modi Modi’ at the rally.
- The Prime Minister further thanked the workers for their tireless work and said, “Today everyone from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is excited and looking forward to participating in this festival of democracy. There is again a wave in India which echoes- ‘Phir ek baar, Modi sarkar’…”.
- PM Narendra Modi interacts with BJP workers in Varanasi ahead of filing his nomination from the constituency. He begins, “I want to congratulate and thank each and every one of you, for your hard work and faith in the party… In this heat also you went door-to-door and sought blessings from the voters.”
BJP President Amit Shah at NDA leaders meet in Varanasi.
Top NDA leaders from across the country were in attendance when Prime Minister Narendra Modi filed his nomination papers for the Varanasi parliamentary constituency on Friday.
Former Punjab Chief Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) chief Parkash Singh Badal, Bihar Chief Minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Nitish Kumar, Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) head Ram Vilas Paswan, leaders of the AIADMK, Asom Gana Parishad, Apna Dal and Shiv Sena Chief Udhav Thackrey were among those present.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said while the past five years were about his government making sincere efforts, the next five will be about results. Addressing a meeting, Modi also laid stress on national security. He said a new India gives a befitting reply to terror.
In an apparent reference to the attack on a Central Reserve Police Force, the prime minister said, “They killed 40 jawans in Pulwama, we have killed 42 terrorists in that area.” He said this is the way his government functions. Modi added that the world backed India in its fight against terror.
Modi also said he will not claim that whatever he wished for the constituency had come true during the last five years. But the pace and the direction of its development are right, he said and outlined the work done by his government in the constituency.