Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam flashes victory signs outside a court after the conviction. PTI

Mumbai, March 21: A Mumbai court Friday awarded life sentences to four men convicted for gang-raping a 19-year-old call centre employee in the Shakti Mills Complex on July 31, 2013. According to the amended Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, the a sentence will continue till the convict’s natural death. The four convicts are Vijay Jadhav (18), Qasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Qasim Bengali (20), Salim Ansari (27) and Mohammad Ashfaque Shaikh (26).Also Read - Ghaziabad Businessman Arrested for Molesting Actress on a Delhi-Mumbai Flight

On the evening of July 31, 2013, the victim, who had taken a shortcut through the Shakti Mills on her way to the Siddhivinayak temple with her boyfriend, was waylaid and attacked by five people, including the four convicts and a minor. Initially, she kept quiet about the incident but gathered courage to complain to police after the gang-rape of a 23-year-old journalist in the same premises on August 22, 2013. Also Read - Mumbai Local Train: Good News For Students, They Can Use Suburban Trains From Today

Principal Sessions Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi had Thursday convicted Jadhav, Bengali and Ansari in both the cases. The court also found Siraj Khan guilty in the photo-journalist’s gang-rape and Shaikh guilty in the call centre employee’s gang-rape. Also Read - Woman Raped on Train While Passengers Remain Mute Spectators

Two minors, one in each case, are being separately tried by the Mumbai Juvenile Justice Board and the hearing will start next month. The accused were found guilty under Sections 376 (D) for gang-rape and other sections pertaining to wrongful restraint, criminal intimidation, conspiracy, common intention, unnatural sex, and sections of the Information Technology Act as the attackers had also made a video clip of the incident.

Following a nationwide uproar, the Mumbai police nabbed the accused within three days of the Aug 22 incident and filed a 600-page-plus charge-sheet against them. A few weeks after the incident, the Mumbai police and civic authorities cleared the desolate Shakti Mills complex and beefed up security in the vicinity