Meenakshipuram (Ker), Mar 28 (PTI) Fourteen persons, including a 13-year-old girl, suffered burns when some explosive substances in a shed went off after a lighted firecracker fell near it during festivities at a local temple, police said today. Also Read - Fact Check: Pregnant Elephant Was NOT 'Fed' Cracker-Stuffed 'Pineapple' in Kerala's 'Malappuram', Maneka Gandhi Called Out For Communalising Animal's Death
The incident occurred yesterday during ‘pongala’ festivities at the Uchi Mahaliamman shrine at Vandithavalam village in Palakkad district. Also Read - Kerala Legislator Turns Hero For Daily Wager in Times of Corona, Reunites 4-Year-Old With Parents After a Month of Lockdown
The condition of two of the injured, undergoing treatment at the Thrissur medical college hospital, was serious, police said. Also Read - Three Suspected Maoists, Including a Woman, Shot Dead in Kerala
A case has been registered against three persons under the Explosives act and various IPC sections in connection with the incident.
In contravention of rules, explosives had been stored in the shed for making fireworks and no permission had been sought by temple authorities and festival organisers, police said.
Police said a lighted firecracker fell near the temporary shed housing the explosive materials following which the explosion took place.
Those injured were standing nearby.
The injured have been admitted to various hospitals in Palakkad and Thrissur districts, police added.
This is published unedited from the PTI feed.