Thane (Maha), Oct 7 (PTI) At least eight people were injured, four of them members of a family, when a cooking gas cylinder exploded following a leakage here in Maharashtra, police said Sunday.Also Read - Maharashtra Issues Fresh Restrictions, Permissions For All Travellers. Read Detailed Guidelines Here

The incident took place in the IndiraNagar locality of the city late Saturday evening, they said. Also Read - Maharashtra: Central Railway Announces To Revert Platform Ticket Price to Rs 10 At These Stations

The injured are being treated at the Government Civil Hospital here and at least four of them, all from one family, are in a critical condition, the police added. Also Read - No Vaccine, No Salary! This Maharashtra City Decides Not To Pay Salaries to Unvaccinated Civic Employees

The LPG blast took place in a house where atiling work was being carried out, a civic official said.

The owner had kept the gas cylinder outside the house when it began to leak and suddenly exploded, said Santosh Kadam, chief of the Regional Disaster Management Cell (RDMC) of the Thane Municipal Corporation.

The blast left four members of a family – a couple and their two children – in whose house the tiling work was going on, seriously injured, the police said.

The other injured included their neighbours, they said.

The house owner, Gomti Prasad Sharma, who received 90 per cent burns, has been booked under IPC sections 285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter) and 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), the police added.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.