Washington, Jan 5 (PTI) A 34-year-old Indian national has been arrested in the US for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman sitting next to him while on a flight from Las Vegas to Detroit, according to a media report. Also Read - US Announces Reward of up to USD 5 Million For Information About 26/11 Mastermind

Prabhu Ramamoorthy was charged with aggravated sexual abuse and held without bail after an appearance in federal court in Michigan yesterday, Washington Post reported. Also Read - Trump Skips G20 Summit on Pandemic Preparedness, Later Spotted at His Golf Course: Report

Ramamoorthy is accused of abusing a 22-year-old sitting in a window seat next to him, while his wife was on his other side, on a flight from Las Vegas to Detroit on Wednesday. Also Read - Won’t Let Rigged Election Steal Our Country: Trump Takes U-turn After Acknowledging Biden’s Victory

The victim told investigators that she woke up to find her pants and shirt unbuttoned and the man s hand inside her pants.

The victim went to the back of the plane to report the incident to a flight attendant, the criminal complaint was quoted as saying by the report.

Ramamoorthy was arrested after the plane landed, according to court documents.

He said in a written statement that he had taken a pill and fallen into a deep sleep, and that he hadn’t done anything.

Magistrate Judge R Steven Whalen, who said it was a “very unusual case”, ordered Ramamoorthy to be held pending trial after the Federal prosecutor successfully argued that he was a flight risk and a potential danger to others around him.

The prosecutor said that Ramamoorthy’s wife, who was also living in the United States on a temporary visa, would not make a suitable custodian for him.

“It seems that she s either colluding with the defendant to cover up his actions or she s completely oblivious to what he did,” the prosecutor argued.

Ramamoorthy’s lawyer, Richard O Neill, had offered to turn over his client’s passport. He said Ramamoorthy had worked as a project manager at a technology group for about two and a half years.

Stephen Schuler, a spokesman for Spirit Airlines, said that it was cooperating with law enforcement on the incident.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.