London, Jan 5 (PTI) The father of Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex after her wedding to Prince Harry, on Saturday made another emotional plea for the actress-turned-royal to make contact with him.
Thomas Markle, a former Hollywood lighting director, has not heard from his daughter or son-in-law since their wedding in May last year and in a new interview from his home in Rosarito, Mexico, he told ‘The Sun’ that he will keep reaching out and probably get “louder”.
“It’s like a dream that has turned into a nightmare. The royals and Meghan can help end this nightmare by simply giving me a call. To this day, I cannot think of anything I’ve done to deserve how I’m being treated now,” the 74-year-old said.
“I’ve been a good father I’ve done nothing wrong. Axe murderers kill 19 people and their daughters still come and visit them in prison. It’s just incomprehensible for Meghan to treat me this way,” he said.
In reference to Harry, he said he is looking forward to their first meeting and urged his son-in-law to break the silence.
He said, “Man up and get over it. If I’m the first person who’s insulted you or hurt your feelings, you’ve got a long way to go. He’s human just like the rest of us. I feel that he feels he is above everyone else and that he has a right to talk down to people. And I cannot accept that. It feels like arrogance”.
Thomas Markle was set to walk his daughter down the aisle for her grand wedding to Harry at Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018, but had to cancel due to medical reasons.
A controversy surrounding his collusion with paparazzi photographers in the lead up to the wedding had caused a major furore. In recent television interviews, Thomas Markle has accused the couple of “ghosting” him despite his numerous apologies.
“I’ll keep talking and I’ll probably get louder. Meghan and Harry’s silence empowers all the crazy tweets and insults against me and my family,” he warned.
While praising his daughter on settling into her new royal role by being herself and choosing to hug people on royal visits, Thomas Markle also urged her to end any rift there might be with her sister-in-law, Prince William’s wife Kate Middleton.
“If there is any animosity between Meghan and Kate they should put their differences aside. I’m very upset by the criticism Meghan is getting. I don’t think she deserves it and I don’t think she is doing one third of the things she is being accused of doing,” he said, attacking media reports of the alleged royal rift.
Harry and Meghan are expecting their first child in a few months and Thomas Markle said he hoped he would be able to play a part in his grandchild’s life.
“The bottom line is that I’ve done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment. I cannot cut my tongue out and never speak again,” he said.
This is published unedited from the PTI feed.