Kabul, May 29 (AP) Officials say Afghan forces killed nine people, mostly civilians, by mistake during a raid on a house in eastern Nangarhar province. Also Read - 42 Freed in One Day From Taliban Jail in Afghanistan

Provincial governor Hayatullah Hayat says today that eight other civilians were wounded in the raid late last night in Chaparhar district. Also Read - Afghanistan: 26 Killed in Clashes Between Security Forces And Taliban Militants

Hayat said a local police commander was among the dead. Also Read - PUBG Mobile Latest Updates: List of Countries Where You Can’t Play The Royale Game in 2021

He said gunfire had been coming from the house that was raided, but the casualties were identified as mostly civilians once the operation ended.

An investigation was being conducted into how the operation resulted in civilian casualties.

Inamullah Miakhail, a spokesman for the hospital in Nangarhar, also confirmed that nine dead bodies were brought to the hospital from the raid.

Both Taliban and the Islamic States group are active in eastern Afghanistan. (AP) SMJ SMJ

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.