New Delhi, Mar 30 (PTI) The security guard, who had fled with a van containing cash for ATMs, had furnished fake identities to the agency which employed him without carrying out his proper verification, police said today. Also Read - 15 BJP Workers Admitted to Hospital After Being Attacked by TMC Leaders in East Midnapur | Updates

Police also clarified that the amount looted was Rs 31 lakh and not Rs 70 lakh, as was claimed by the complainants yesterday, adding the accused driver, Zaalim Singh, is still on the run. Also Read - Nirbhaya Case 16 December: 8th Anniversary, Nothing Has Changed As 'India's Daughters' Are Still Fighting For Justice

The driver had procured the mobile number on the basis of fake IDs and had been working with the company since January 31, said a senior police officer. Also Read - The Internet is Going Gaga Over this Bihar Resident's Reply on 'Vikas'

He said the company, which collects cash from various godowns and then supplies them to ATMs, had not carried out police verification of the driver and was unaware about his antecedents.

“They (the company) had given us an estimate based on the amount they collected everyday. Later, when they calculated, it was found that the total amount was Rs 31 lakh,” he said.

The accused had gone to collect cash from various places in the city along with driver Sahil and cashier Vikas.

When Sahil and Vikas went into a godown in Mianwali Nagar area to collect Rs 16 lakh around 7.20 PM yesterday, the guard fled with the van.

Policemen are not even sure about his real identity. In the wake of the heist, raids have been conducted at the probable places he could have been hiding but there has been no luck for the teams till now, the police officer added.

The CCTV footages have been scanned and it has been found that he went towards main Rohtak road.

“The Main Rohtak road is connected to many areas of Delhi and we are not sure where he went from there. Our informers have been alerted and his photographs have been circulated and we are hoping to catch him in the next couple of days,” said the officer.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.