Mumbai, Jul 31 (PTI) Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today ordered inquiry into the transfer of development rights to a project in the city, after the opposition targeted Housing Minister Prakash Mehta over the issue. Also Read - Goa govt committed to make state ODF by Oct 2: Governor

Fadnavis made the announcement in the Legislative Assembly. Also Read - T'gana govt spent Rs 99,643 cr for irrigation since 2014: ESL Narasimhan

The opposition leaders had alleged that Mehta overruled the Housing Department’s view that the Development Control Rules do not support his decision to allow transfer of extra building (development) rights sanctioned to slum dwellers to another residential scheme. Also Read - Pondy LT Guv unfurls tricolour on R-Day, presents awards

Senior Congress leader and former chief minister Prithviraj Chavan had raised the issue last week.

Making a statement in the House today evening, Fadnavis said, “Mehta has admitted that he had not consulted me before writing that note on the project. (But) One must not forget that no further decision was taken on the issue. Such things happen but it should not be blown out of proportion. I have already ordered a stay to the project after I learned about the irregularities.”

The opposition MLAs, however, shouted slogans demanding a firm action against Mehta, who had earlier said Fadnavis had been intimated about his decision.

The opposition eventually staged a walk-out over the issue.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.