Toronto, May 30 (PTI) A woman could be one of the two suspects who detonated a powerful homemade improvised explosive device at an Indian restaurant in Canada that injured 15 people, police have said. Also Read - WhatsApp Policy Row: It's Voluntary, Use Some Other App if Not Acceptable, Says Delhi High Court
The two suspects with their faces covered entered the Bombay Bhel restaurant late on Thursday night, dropped the improvised explosive device (IED) and fled. The restaurant is in Mississauga, about 28 kms from here. Also Read - Facebook, Twitter Executives Summoned By Parliamentary Panel Over 'Social Media Misuse'
The homemade bomb appeared to contain nails and other household items, police were quoted as saying by Toronto Star. Also Read - Signal is Back! Messaging App Online After Facing Technical Difficulty For Over a Day
Contradicting their initial report that both the suspects were men, Peel police said that the search for the two suspects continues, and one of them may be a woman.
“The IED appears to be homemade. However, what led the two suspects to detonate this device is still not clear. We do not have a clear motive and no one has claimed responsibility,” a police official said.
The Peel Regional Police said “at this point nothing suggests that it was a hate crime or an act of terrorism”.
The police official also gave a brief description of the two suspects and said that surveillance videos indicate that one of the two suspects might be a woman.
Thirty people were inside the restaurant at the time of the explosion, he said.
Peel Regional Police said they received a call about the incident at 10:32 PM (local time on Thursday).
Mississauga is Canada’s sixth largest city.
The police have urged people to come forward if they have information.
“We know there are people out there who know who did this and it is time for them to do the right thing and come forward,” the official said.
The restaurant said in its website that the Mississauga establishment will remain closed until further notice, but its three other locations are open.
A statement posted on the restaurant’s Facebook page said that they have “been serving our customers for over 30 years and will do so for another 30 years in the great city of Mississauga”.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week expressed concern over the blast and said that his government is closely working with police, which are hunting for the two suspects.
This is published unedited from the PTI feed.