Mumbai, June 30: Eight people were killed as a fire broke out at a medical store in Andheri West on Thursday. The fire broke out at around 6.30 am on Thursday and has now been doused after several fire tenders reached the spot. The cause of the fire is said to be a short circuit. At least one person is also said to be critically injured. This comes just weeks after a massive fire had broken out at a building in South Mumbai’s Causeway Colaba area, which is a busy commercial street in the commercial capital of India.

No casualties were reported in this case, as all occupants of the building, including several foreign nationals were swiftly moved out, as soon as the fire started. The building, Metro House, had caught on fire at around 4 pm on June 3. The building is a commercial-cum-residential complex which houses Mumbai’s famous Cafe Mondegar and is very close to Regal cinema, another landmark of the city. The conflagration could be contained only after five hours of fire-fighting. The area had been cordoned off for several days after the fire, and was only opened for public access recently. ALSO READ: Mumbai: Massive fire breaks out near Cafe Mondegar in Colaba; 8 fire tenders at spot

Chief Fire Officer Prabhat Rahangadale told NDTV, “The building was immediately evacuated and no casualties were reported… We have been able to contain the flames and not allow them to spread to adjoining buildings. The main staircase collapsed making access into the old building very difficult.” Watch this space for more details on the Andheri fire story.