Delhi’s Jama Masjid Withdraws Ban Order On Girls’ Entry On Lt Governor’s Request: Report

Jama Masjid's Imam Bukhari agreed to revoke the order, on the condition that visitors respect and maintain the sanctity of the mosque.

Published: November 24, 2022 6:58 PM IST

By India.com News Desk | Edited by Manmath Nayak

Jama Masjid, How to spend 48 hours in delhi
The administration of Delhi's Jama Masjid had issued notices outside the main gates banning the entry of 'girls', whether alone or in groups.

New Delhi: Jama Masjid’s Shahi Imam on Thursday said he has agreed to withdraw the ban order on the entry of women in the mosque, after Delhi LG VK Saxena spoke to him and requested him to take back the decree, Raj Niwas sources told news agency PTI.

Also Read:

As per the updates, Imam Bukhari agreed to revoke the order, on the condition that visitors respect and maintain the sanctity of the mosque.

On Wednesday, the administration of Delhi’s Jama Masjid had issued notices outside the main gates banning the entry of ‘girls’, whether alone or in groups. As controversy escalated, the mosque’s Shahi Imam on Thursday said the order is not applicable to those coming to offer prayers.

Earlier in the day, the ban order led to an outrage in some quarters as women rights activists termed the mosque’s decision regressive and unacceptable.

The notices, which have no date, came up a few days ago outside the three main entry gates, sources in the administration said. However, it has come to attention only now.

“Jama Masjid mein ladki ya ladkiyon ka akele daakhla mana hai (The entry of a girl, or girls is not permitted in Jama Masjid),” reads the notice by the administration of the 17th century Mughal era monument that attracts thousands of devout as well as tourists.

(With inputs from PTI)

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest Delhi News on India.com.

Published Date: November 24, 2022 6:58 PM IST