Lahore, Nov 24: Hafiz Saeed, the 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind, walked free from house arrest on Thursday and said that he will help the Kashmiris secure “freedom” and for it, he will gather people across Pakistan for the “cause of Kashmir”. “I was detained for 10 months only to stop my voice for Kashmir,” the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief said after he was set free on the orders of the Pakistan government.
Saeed, who carries a bounty of $10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities, has been under detention since January this year.
As per a News18 report, sources have revealed that the Punjab Pakistan government may file fresh charges against Hafiz Saeed to keep him in custody.
The JuD chief’s release was ordered by the Judicial Review Board of Punjab province comprising judges of the Lahore High Court (LHC) on the completion of his 30-day house arrest which expired tonight. “I fight the case of Kashmiris. I will gather the people from across the country for the cause of Kashmir. And we will try to help Kashmiris get their destination of freedom,” he was quoted as saying in a PTI report.
Claiming that his announcement for a month of solidarity for Kashmiris in January led to his detainment, Saeed said, “I am very happy that none of the allegations against me proved as three judges of the LHC ordered my release …India had levelled baseless allegations against me. The LHC’s review board decision has proved that I am innocent.”
He also accused India of requesting the US to pressurise Pakistan to detain him. “… I was detained on the pressure of the US on the Pakistani government. The US did so on the request of India,” he claimed as he addressed the media from outside Saeed’s residence in Jauhar town in Lahore.
On January 31, Saeed and his four aides – Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain – were detained by the Punjab government for 90 days under Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 and the Fourth Schedule of Anti- Terrorism Act 1997. However, the last two extensions were made on the ‘public safety law’.
The board refused to give further extension to the detention of Saeed’s aides. They were set free last month.
Under the law, the government can detain a person for up to three months under different charges but for extension to that detention it needs approval from a judicial review board.
The JuD is believed to be the front organisation for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) which is responsible for carrying out the Mumbai attack.