Tokyo: 119 Indians and five nationals from Sri Lanka, Nepal, South Africa and Peru, who were on board the coronavirus-hit quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess, landed in the national capital in a special Air India flight on Thursday morning. Also Read - ‘Exploring Various Options, Monitoring Coronavirus Impact on Indian Economy,’ Says Sitharaman

Foreign minister S Jaishankar thanked the Japanese authorities for facilitating the evacuation of people. Also Read - Coronavirus Outbreak: Indian Air Force Flight Leaves For Wuhan With 15 Tonnes of Medical Supplies

“Air India flight has just landed in Delhi from Tokyo, carrying 119 Indians & 5 nationals from Sri Lanka, Nepal, South Africa and Peru who were quarantined onboard the #DiamondPrincess due to #COVID19. Appreciate the facilitation of Japanese authorities. Also Read - Coronavirus Outbreak: Centre Asks  Indian Travellers to Avoid Visiting Iran, Italy, South Korea

Thank you @airindiain once again,” tweeted External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.

As many as 138 Indians including 132 crew and six passengers were among the 3,711 people on board the luxury cruise ship, which was quarantined off Japan on February 5 after it emerged that a former passenger had tested positive for the virus.

Of these, 16 were tested positive for coronavirus and will stay in Japan for treatment, while the remaining will be repatriated to India.

The repatriation is being facilitated by the Indian government.

Coronavirus has infected more than 80,000 people in 37 countries, causing more than 2,600 deaths in the past few months.

Meanwhile, India has also evacuated the remaining 122 citizens, who did not show any symptoms, from the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantined off Japan coast. A total of 138 citizens – including 6 passengers and 132 crew – were on board the ship among 3,711 people. The other 16 Indians who had tested positive were shifted to a hospital where their condition is being closely monitored.

Notably, India had last week, accused China of deliberately and “inexplicably” delaying granting clearance for the aircraft to bring back their citizens. However, the Chinese Foreign Ministry had maintained that there had been no delay, saying talks were still going on between the two neighbours.

(With agency inputs)