New Delhi: In the last 24 hours, India has recorded near 2,000 fresh cases — 1,990 to be specific — in its biggest single-day spike so far. The total tally has crossed 26,000, reaching 26,496. The death toll due to COVID-19 rose to 824. Also Read - 'Unlock 1': Thermal Screening at Entrance, No Physical Offering | Here's SOP For Religious Places Ahead of Opening on June 8
Here are the major takeaways Also Read - 'Unlock 1': '6-ft Distance, Masks, Aarogya Setu App Mandatory For Employees,' Centre Issues SOP For Workplace
1. The death toll increased by 45. Also Read - Social Distancing, Thermal Screening: These Are Centre's Fresh SOPs For Restaurants, Hotels, Hospitality Units
2. This is the biggest single-day spike so far.
3. The spike comes at a time when the health ministry is saying that the situation is under control, the curve is being flattened and the lockdown guidelines have also been relaxed.
4. Obviously, there can’t be any link between the shops opening and the spike in the number of cases as these are cases of earlier infections. But if these many people got infected during the intense lockdown, then what will happen if the lockdown is relaxed?
5. Of the 45 deaths reported since Saturday evening, 22 are from Maharashtra, six in Gujarat, seven from Madhya Pradesh, one from among others.
6. An intense lockdown has begun in several cities in Tamil Nadu, including Chennai, from April 26. This will be continued until April 29.
7. According to reports, Mumbai and Pune Metropolitan regions may continue to be under lockdown beyond May 3 and extend till June.