Mumbai, Sept 7: Reactions poured in after a special Terrorist and Disruptive Activity (TADA) Court awarded the death penalty to two convicts and life sentences to two others, including gangster Abu Salem in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blast case. Another accused was sentenced to ten years imprisonment by the TADA court. Social media was flooded with tweets and post hailing the punishments given to convicts in the 1993 Mumbai blast case. However, many netizens expressed anger for not awarding death penalty to dreaded gangster Abu Salem in the case.

Special Judge GA Sanap pronounced the death penalty for convicts Mohammed Taher Merchant alias Tahir Takla and Feroze Khan and sentenced Abu Salem and Karimullah Khan to life imprisonment. The court awarded ten years rigorous imprisonment to the fifth convict, Riyaz Siddiqui. All the six accused were earlier pronounced “guilty” by the Special Court on June 16, including Mustafa Dossa, who died on June 28.

1993 Bombay Blasts Case: Why Abu Salem Wasn't Given Death Sentence by TADA Court

1993 Bombay Blasts Case: Why Abu Salem Wasn't Given Death Sentence by TADA Court

Hailing the verdict on the quantum of sentencing, Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said justice prevailed in the 1993 Mumbai blast case. “Justice prevails in #MumbaiBlasts with life imprisonment of #AbuSalem. 104 accused convicted so far. Next should be Dawood Ibrahim and Memon,” Surjewala tweeted. He didn’t miss the opportunity to give credit to the Congress for the extradition of Abu Salem. “India will determinedly fight & punish terrorism. After a long chase, UPA ensured extradition of #AbuSalem in 2005 from Portugal,” wrote the Congress leader.

Speaking to a news channel, Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam celebrated the punishments given in the 1993 Mumbai blast case and said now only Dawood Ibrahim, Anees Ibrahim and Tiger Memon, who are believed to be hiding in Pakistan, are remaining to be punished. Pakistan has been under tremendous pressure and India will soon get success in nabbing other conspirators of 1993 blasts, said Nikam.

On March 12, 1993, multiple blasts ripped through Mumbai killing 257 people and injuring over 700. Arguments over the degree of sentences continued after the conviction in June and concluded on August 10.