New Delhi, July 9: The Supreme Court on Monday is expected to pronounce its verdict on review petitions filed by the death row convicts in the 2012 Delhi gang rape case . The convicts (Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh) are seeking reduction of their death sentence to a life term. A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice R. Banumathi and Justice Ashok Bhushan will deliver the verdict at 2 PM, on the review petitions of the convicts.Also Read - Pegasus Row: Allegations of Snooping, if Correct, Are Serious, Observes Supreme Court; Matter to be Heard on August 10

Earlier on May 4, 2018 the apex court had reserved its order on the plea of convicts seeking a review of its 2017 verdict upholding the death penalty awarded to them in the Nirbhaya gangrape case. A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan had reserved the order after hearing arguments on behalf of the convicts Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta who sought a review of its verdict. Also Read - Emerald Court Project: NOIDA Reeking With Corruption, in Cahoots With Supertech, Says SC

Last year on May 5, the apex court had upheld the death sentences awarded to the four convicts by a trial court and confirmed by the Delhi High Court for raping and brutally assaulting a 23-year-old para-medical student inside a moving bus. Also Read - Delhi Horror: 9-year-old Allegedly Gang-raped, Murdered, Then Forcibly Cremated by Priest, 3 Others

The convicts Mukesh, 29, Pawan, 22, Vinay Sharma, 23 and Akshay Kumar Singh, 31 had then urged to the court to review their sentences, saying it was “cold-blooded killing in the name of Justice”. (Also Read: Rape Cases in India: A Timeline Till it Stops). The court then agreed to hear their request in November last year. Led by CJI Misra, a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court heard the arguments of both the sides and reserved their order in May this year.

What happened on December 16, 2012?

On the night of December 16, 2012, the 23-year-old woman was beaten, gang raped and tortured by six men in a private bus in which she was travelling with her friend. One of the accused, Ram Singh, committed suicide in Tihar Central Jail while the sixth accused, a minor, was sent to a correction home and has been released after serving his probation period.

The incident took place in Munirka, South Delhi. The perpetrators of the heinous crime threw the young couple on road naked in the winter night and later tossed on the road with an intention of running the bus over her but was pulled aside by her male friend.

The victim, who lost her life after 16 days in a Singapore hospital was named ‘Nirbhaya’. Time and again her parents have demanded death penalty for all the rapists, including the juvenile.