New Delhi: Delhi Congress unit chief Sheila Dikshit stoked a controversy on Saturday as she said that the heinous 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape case was ‘blown out of proportion’ by the media. She also said that the city can be made safer for the women by the government of India and Parliament and not by the Delhi government. Also Read - Nirbhaya Case: 7 Years After Gruesome Gangrape And Murder, Four Convicts Hanged at Delhi's Tihar Jail
Nirbhaya Gangrape And Murder: December 16, 2012 to December 16, 2018 – A Timeline Also Read - Nirbhaya case: SC to Hear Pawan Gupta's Curative Plea Claiming he Was a Minor at the Time of Offence
“There are so many cases like this taking place today. Sometimes you ignore rapes, just a little thing in the newspaper…little children being raped…and one was made into a political scandal,” Dikshit said in an interview with Mirror Now. Also Read - Nirbhaya Case Convict Vinay Sharma Again Tries to Harm Himself, This Time by Swallowing Staple Pins
Dikshit, who is contesting the ongoing Lok Sabha Elections 2019 from the North East Delhi seat, was Delhi chief minister when the case happened. Claiming that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA)-led by the Congress party was in power at the Centre when the gangrape took place in 2012, she asserted that her government had no role to play in managing the law and order situation as it ‘was under the purview of the central government’.
Responding to a question over the street lighting and CCTV cameras, the former Delhi CM went on the defensive and reiterated that it was the Centre’s duty.
The Congress leader has made a similar controversial statement earlier as well. Speaking on the murder of journalist Soumya Vishwanathan in 2008, she had said, “When that journalist (Soumya Vishwanathan) was out at 3 am in the morning, she was being too adventurous.”
A 23-year-old paramedical student was assaulted and raped by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi and thrown out of the vehicle with her male friend on the night of December 16, 2012. She died during treatment at a Singapore hospital on December 29 that year.
The four convicts — Mukesh, Pawan, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Kumar Singh — in the brutal December 16, 2012 gangrape and murder case were awarded death sentence by the Supreme Court.
On December 13, 2018, the top court on December 13, last year, dismissed a plea seeking directions for immediate execution of the four death row convicts. Pulling up the petitioner, a bench of Justices Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta had said, “What kind of prayer you are making?”