New Delhi, Nov 2: The government on Thursday hiked education allowance for differently-abled children of central government employees, under the 7th Pay Commission or 7th CPC. The education allowance for differently-abled children has been increased from Rs 30,000 to Rs 54,000 annually, following a recommendation of the 7th Pay Commission.Also Read - 7th Pay Commission: Gratuity, GPF, Insurance, Ex-gratia Compensation Nomination Form Amended; Details Here

Under the 7th Pay Commission, rules provide that reimbursement of education allowance for differently-abled children of government employees be payable at double the prescribed rate for other children — Rs 2,250 per month. If both the spouses were government servants, only one of them could avail of the reimbursement. The allowance cap would automatically be raised by 25 per cent every time the dearness allowance (DA) on the revised pay structure went up by 50 per cent. (ALSO READ: Irked by Delay in Minimum Pay Hike, Central Govt Employees Seek Arun Jaitley’s Intervention) Also Read - 7th Pay Commission: Central Govt Employees to Get Bumper Gifts Ahead of Diwali | Details Here

“The annual ceiling fixed for reimbursement of Children Education Allowance (CEA) for differently-abled children of government employees is now Rs 54,000,” the order issued recently by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) said. Under the 7th Pay Commission, the amount of reimbursement of hostel subsidy has been raised to Rs 6,750 per month. Reimbursements would be released only once a year, after the completion of the financial year, the DoPT order said. Also Read - 7th Pay Commission: Festive Bonanza For Central Govt Employees, They Are Likely to Get Benefits up to Rs 30,240

The 6th Pay Commission had fixed the children education allowance at the rate of Rs 1,500 per month (Rs 3,000 for differently-abled children) and hostel subsidy at Rs 4,500 per month. To claim CEA, a certificate from the head of the institution, where the ward of the employee studied, would be sufficient. The certificate should confirm that the child studied in the school during the previous academic year.

For the hostel subsidy, a similar certificate from the head of the institution would suffice, with the additional requirement that the document should mention the amount of expenditure incurred by the government servant towards lodging and boarding in the residential complex, the order said.

(With agency inputs)