New Delhi: Former Union Minister P Chidambaram in his reply in the Aircel-Maxis case on Saturday said that no offence was committed in the grant of FIPB (Foreign Investment Promotion Board) approval, news agency ANI reported. Chidambaram has released a statement in this regard.
The statement reads, “No illegal gratification was received. There was no conspiracy. Approval was granted on basis of deliberation in the Foreign Investment Promotion Board and recommendations of the FIPB that was put up to the Finance Minister (P Chidambaram) in the Normal course of official business.”
Speaking on CBI’s statement that applicant P Chidambaram is an influential person and may influence witnesses or tamper with evidence, the reply states, “above contentions of CBI is false, speculative, bereft of the details and untenable.”
“CBI had no hesitation in making false allegations against me and summoning me for questioning. Besides, no evidence has been submitted by the CBI in support of its unfounded allegation that the applicant may tamper with the witnesses or evidence,” reads the rejoinder.
On November 1, the Patiala House Court had extended the interim protection of former Union minister P Chidambaram and his son Karti in the Aircel-Maxis case till November 26. Father and son have been granted interim protection from time to time and they have also denied all the allegations leveled against them.
The Aircel-Maxis deal case, which emerged out of 2G spectrum cases, pertains to a grant by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) to firm M/S Global Communication Holding Services Ltd for investment in Aircel. The ED had earlier said that the FIPB approval granted in 2006 by Chidambaram was beyond his mandate as he was only authorized to accord approval on project proposals up to Rs 600 crore. Karti was arrested on February 28 at the Chennai airport upon his return from the United Kingdom, for his alleged role in the case. Currently, Karti is on bail too.